Learing curve with older rebuilt stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I'm learning to use my fixed up "Little Buck" insert. I just replaced all gaskets and gave her new paint. The frame is solid no cracks that I could see and all welds look solid.

This is my first winter with it. I'm doing some test burns now, it's not really that cold out but damp and chilly. The thermostat has low, medium and high. The manual says that it runs on high only during overfires and cycles on low when it's cooling down, thats easy enough, but....running medium is hard without a temp gauge.

I want a good stove temp thermometer so I can better gauge the medium running temp. Something better than a magnet, any suggestions??

Thanks,
Charlie

I should clarify a bit. I would like the probe to be in the same location as the thermostat since the top will cool much slower that the thinner side wall where the thermostat is located.

Usually with inserts there isn't the choice of thermometers that one can use on a freestanding stove because the flue connection is buried behind the surround. That means a magnetic surface thermometer, usually placed on the face of the stove above the door if there's room. Don't worry, it's all relative. The firebox temp is actually much hotter than the surface readings anyway.

It sounds like the thermostat is just for the fan. Is this correct? If so, you will learn to correlate surface temps with the fan cycle.

Ya I'm talking about the fan. This seemed like a good stove for the price $0. My uncle decided he didn't want to burn anymore and I snatched it up for when my other insert had to be put down. This one just runs so diff from the quadrafire 400.

Status
Not open for further replies.