Learning my zones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood thing

May 20, 2010
potter co. pa.
A few years ago, I inclosed by front entry. I poured a concrete floor with radiant tubing. This has worked great over the years, keeping the boots warm and dry. However, there was never enough tubing or area to heat the space in real cold weather. This was always ok and never bothered me. Last year I up graded to a gasser and storage. The dilema is I can't charge the storage much because that zone is mostly on all the time. The boiler actually goes into idle because the zone is so small as well as only 1/2". So I've combined this zone with another adjacent zone. The entry is still cool, but is has improved the storage situation. Not much I can do unless I use a skyhook or something. Don't want electric heat either. Any ideas ? Thanks

Do you have room for a cast iron radiator? This would be great for drying gloves also to go with your warm boots!

I would love to do that but can't get any piping to the room. Three outside walls and concrete pad on grade. Inbetween the adjacent zone (house) and radiant area is a set of concrete steps about six foot wide. The roof is shed type inside & out.

Are you asking to get more heat output from that slab? If so, can you get some insulation around the edge of the slab and down a foot or so? Anything you can do to limit the heatloss from the space, and slab will help. A slab on grade loses a lot of the energy downward, but also around the edge that is exposed to outdoor temperatures. Sometimes edge insulation can be added, no so for under the slab.

The same goes for the room itself look for ways to lower the heatloss, window blankets, insulation upgrade if possible.

Increasing the supply temperature and flowrate will help some, but there are limits to how much you can tweak the distribution part.

hr

Thanks in hot water, I have tried increased water temp but with little luck. Anything is possible so I take my last post back. I could surface mount piping on the shed type ceiling but I know somebody that lives here would not like it. I don't think I would either. Ceiling is rough sawn cedar, very nice. All walls are covered with windows, hence the heat loss. I think I'm screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.