Leaving pellets in the stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
Summer has finally arrived, and I have a little less than half a hopper full of pellets in the stove. Is it alright to leave them there, or should they be removed? Will the absorb moisture if left in the stove? Thanks.

People have said to remove them because of the moisture which may jam up the augur.

Have done it for sixteen years in both stoves and ner had an issue.

chrisasst said:
People have said to remove them because of the moisture which may jam up the augur.

Had it happen my 1st year.. Went to fire up the stove and it was jammed up.. I would empty it... Put a Damp-Rid in the hopper... Only takes a minute. Better to be safe than sorry.. Right yourself a note and place it in the hopper with the other things you have done (i.e.-Plug Exhaust, Plug OAK, Damp Rid in Hopper, Plug stove in)

Buy a nice coal-hod bucket and place them in there.. Looks fancy too.

Here are a few pics of the Stove with Coal Buckets, Damp Rid, and Damp Rid in hopper.

Attachments

• Damp Rid.jpg
    Damp Rid.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG00345-20110514-1127.jpg
    IMG00345-20110514-1127.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 385
  • Done-till next year.jpg
    Done-till next year.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 416
Cincinnati Kid said:
Have done it for sixteen years in both stoves and ner had an issue.

I agree....I've left them in the stove and never had a problem.

DexterDay said:
chrisasst said:

Had it happen my 1st year.. Went to fire up the stove and it was jammed up.. I would empty it... Put a Damp-Rid in the hopper... Only takes a minute. Better to be safe than sorry.. Right yourself a note and place it in the hopper with the other things you have done (i.e.-Plug Exhaust, Plug OAK, Damp Rid in Hopper, Plug stove in)

Here are a few pics of the Stove with Coal Buckets, Damp Rid, and Damp Rid in hopper.

I just have to ask - do you leave those hods full of pellets throughout the Summer? If so, don't they suffer the same fate as the ones in your hopper? (I'm getting surface rust on my heat exchanger, so I assume there is moisture in the air to wreak havoc with pellet stoves and hods full of pellets, yes?)

EarlyMan

EarlyMan said:
DexterDay said:
chrisasst said:

I just have to ask - do you leave those hods full of pellets throughout the Summer? If so, don't they suffer the same fate as the ones in your hopper? (I'm getting surface rust on my heat exchanger, so I assume there is moisture in the air to wreak havoc with pellet stoves and hods full of pellets, yes?)

EarlyMan

The Buckets were just an idea.. I bought them my 2nd year, to empty my hopper and they stayed full the 2nd year.. This season they got used again, because my wife was pregnant and couldn't lift a full bag (If I couldn't make it home) of pellets. They buckets hold a half bag (20 lbs). So 2 buckets is one bag..

Now the buckets will stay full. Its just an aesthetic thing now. Looks good in the corner with "Full Buckets"... The Surface rust you are getting is common if you do not spray the inside of your stove with a Rust Inhibitor or "Pam" Cooking Spray Oil.. Pam works great. I actually repainted the inside of my stove this year AND Sprayed it with Pam..

I would still remove the pellets and spray the interior with an inhibitor and use a desiccant (Damp-Rid). The pellets will settle and get more compacted over time. I believe that's why mine got jammed. They were not "Wet" per say. They were more Jammed and stuck......

Attachments

• Quad cleaning with paint and logs #2.jpg
    Quad cleaning with paint and logs #2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 302
I leavum in, i leave my stove dirty and for past 13 yrs my stoves works!!

DexterDay said:
chrisasst said:

Nice Stove Dexter !!!

Looks like it had a good shoe shine too !!

Do you use paint or polish??

hemlock said:
Hello,
Summer has finally arrived, and I have a little less than half a hopper full of pellets in the stove. Is it alright to leave them there, or should they be removed? Will the absorb moisture if left in the stove? Thanks.

It really depends upon the location of the stove, and if there is any dampness in that location. A basement install can have dampness.

So that is why some people may or may not have a problem.

However it is also a good idea and a good time to remove them for a good hopper cleaning. Then maybe a spray of graphite to keep it smooth.

Those coal buckets that Dexter has is a great idea for the small storage of any left over pellets. This year I burned mine all down.

Don2222 said:
DexterDay said:
chrisasst said:

Nice Stove Dexter !!!

Hey Don, its Polish on the outside...... I re-painted the inside. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75103/ I have only used it 3 years.. I look at it, as Preventative Maintenance... You could change your oil every 3 months/3,000k, or every 12 months/12,000k. Some that get more treatment than others, will still last as long.

I am still "New" (3 seasons) to this pellet thing. Will I still be as "Preventitive" after 13 yrs of Pellet Burning like ^^ Pellet-King above ^^.. I dont know??. I may be more "Relaxed" when I get more years under my belt. But for the past 3, (And ever since I found this Forum), I have been Cleaning and Taking MUCH better care of the stoves.

DexterDay said:
Don2222 said:
DexterDay said:
chrisasst said:

Nice Stove Dexter !!!

Hey Don, its Polish on the outside...... I re-painted the inside. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75103/ I have only used it 3 years.. I look at it, as Preventative Maintenance... You could change your oil every 3 months/3,000k, or every 12 months/12,000k. Some that get more treatment than others, will still last as long.

I am still "New" (3 seasons) to this pellet thing. Will I still be as "Preventitive" after 13 yrs of Pellet Burning like ^^ Pellet-King above ^^.. I dont know??. I may be more "Relaxed" when I get more years under my belt. But for the past 3, (And ever since I found this Forum), I have been Cleaning and Taking MUCH better care of the stoves.

Wow, It looks brand new like you just got it!! That will keep is value !!

I use Polish on the outside of mine too. It really keeps it nice.

Do you have a summer time LED amber light? I am still waiting for the Microprocessor Flame Flicker Control for it!!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75397/

Order # xxxxx (Pending)
Order Date: Wednesday 25 May, 2011

Shipping Method
Federal Express (Total items: 1 pcs. Total weight: 2.65 lbs) (Ground Service (2 days))

Products
1 x Lights Alive miniFLICKER / Roaring Fire LA-MF201F

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 253
Status
Not open for further replies.