Let there be grass!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MasterMech

Since there has been some talk of lawn repair on here lately I thought I'd share a photo or two of our progress.

Bare spots are fairway areas that were damaged from flooding/poor drainage.

They were core aerated (2"x2") spacing with 1/2" tines, the plugs dragged to break 'em up and the tops blown off the area. Then we seeded, added starter fertilizer and waited. Nature has been doing excellent keeping up the watering lately!

Attachments

• 0925110801.jpg
    0925110801.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 0925110802.jpg
    0925110802.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 395
Looking good so far. Nothing worse waiting for grass seed to germinate... I overseeded spots a few days ago because of the 6 day rainy period we're in.

stejus said:
Looking good so far. Nothing worse waiting for grass seed to germinate... I overseeded spots a few days ago because of the 6 day rainy period we're in.

These areas are about 7 days old since the seed went down.

MasterMech said:
stejus said:

7 days you using rye?

Just overseeded and seeded bare spots in my lawn with the Jonathan green Black Beauty. I expect sprouts in a bout 5 days. Seed does exceptionally well this time of year...

CTwoodburner said:
Just overseeded and seeded bare spots in my lawn with the Jonathan green Black Beauty. I expect sprouts in a bout 5 days. Seed does exceptionally well this time of year...

Two weeks minimum on the good old ky blue! :cheese:

Put myself through college as a Greenskeeper at a small, family-owned golf course . . . I learned a lot about growing grass there . . . and learned a few life lessons from the dyed-in-the-wool Mainer that owned the place as well . . . of course you would never know it from looking at my own yard. ;)

smokinjay said:
MasterMech said:
stejus said:

7 days you using rye?

That's right. Our tee's, fairway's, and most of the rough is all perennial ryegrass. Greens are a mix of velvet and creeping bentgrass.

Hello

Wow those are big plugs!!!! The grass is coming up nice! Do u have any trouble with Birds eating the grass seed??

BTW - Nice Pics - Thanks

Holes are deep enough that the birds don't bother. Aeration holes or slice seeding is the key. We have the most trouble keeping the seed where we put it after it rains. Holes/slice seeder def helps with that.

Holes look humongous in the pics but they were 1/2" tines and the holes are prolly 3/8" or so now.

MasterMech said:
smokinjay said:
MasterMech said:
stejus said:

7 days you using rye?

That's right. Our tee's, fairway's, and most of the rough is all perennial ryegrass. Greens are a mix of velvet and creeping bentgrass.

Hard to keep rye from browning out in dry spells. (Goes dormant quick) On the other hand high dollar for good blue grass seed.

smokinjay said:
MasterMech said:
smokinjay said:
MasterMech said:
stejus said:

7 days you using rye?

Hard to keep rye from browning out in dry spells. (Goes dormant quick) On the other hand high dollar for good blue grass seed.

That's what irrigation is for! ;-) Bluegrass generally won't tolerate the heat/drought any better (Some varieties are better than others.) but it sure does tolerate cold (like Canada cold...) winters better than the rye. Stays a gorgeous green over the winter too. I have been "encouraging" bluegrass in my back yard and last winter it made a huge difference. I'm hoping next fall that a kick-@$$ aerification and overseed will produce even better results.

MasterMech said:
smokinjay said:
MasterMech said:
smokinjay said:
MasterMech said:
stejus" date="1317013436 said:
Looking good so far. Nothing worse waiting for grass seed to germinate... I overseed spots a few days ago because of the 6 day rainy period we're in.

7 days you using rye?

That's what irrigation is for! ;-) Bluegrass generally won't tolerate the heat/drought any better (Some varieties are better than others.) but it sure does tolerate cold (like Canada cold...) winters better than the rye. Stays a gorgeous green over the winter too. I have been "encouraging" bluegrass in my back yard and last winter it made a huge difference. I'm hoping next fall that a kick-@$$ aerification and overseed will produce even better results.

My neighbor and I both have pull behind aerators. We hook them both together and double aerate with one pass. I do 3 passes spring and fall. (6 way aeration) 3 directions. My 25hp JD will not pull it. We use he's zero turn toro.

And on the other side of the fence...I don't do ANYTHING that would encourage my grass to grow. Matter of fact, I am thinking that come spring, I might weed and feed with diesel.

Jags said:
And on the other side of the fence...I don't do ANYTHING that would encourage my grass to grow. Matter of fact, I am thinking that come spring, I might weed and feed with diesel.

Jags is hateing again! :cheese:

Jags said:

Don't forget the match!

MasterMech said:
Jags said:

Don't forget the match!

I love my yard to be a nice shade of brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.