Leveling of the fireplace floor...Necessary?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebrsmithers

Oct 14, 2007
Northern Alabama
Looking for a little advice here. The stove is on the way, Hampton HI300 and I am preparing the hearth to receive it in a timely fashion. Cleaned the chimney, took out the damper plate and lever, ordered the liner kit...
A couple of people have suggested that I level the floor of the fireplace to the hearth brick. There is about a 1/2 inch drop between the two. The floor of the fireplace is also uneven, so I am concerned with the insert being able to "rock" a bit. Any suggestion from the the pro's would be appreciated.

I had the same situation - except mine was, luckily, very close to the thickness of a fire brick. I don't think having the floor 'level' is critical (within reason) - but you definitely want it to be 'even' and smooth so the insert can't rock back and forth. I would think anything non-flammable and relatively sturdy would do.

Corey

I had the same situation also. The dealer said to use quickcrete mortar mix. He said that if I ever wanted to go back to a fireplace, a hammer would chip out mortar mix very easy. Just a suggestion, put a piece of 22 Ga. sheet metal on top of the mortar mix. This makes it a lot simpler to slide the insert in and out.

Seems better to keep it non-combustible. I like the sheetmetal idea, that's what we did.

I tried the mortar suggestion. It is in the process of setting up. Unfortunately, the floor of the fireplace is not level. It has a rise in the center and drops off at the sides and front, so I think the quickset mortar will be the best bet for an smooth, even surface.

Flat is most important, you don't want the insert to be rocking for sure, although at least some have leveler feet. If you get it level, that will be even better, as it will look better. I would agree that anything you use to level it should be non-combustible, I think the mortar mix and sheet metal is an excellent combo.

Gooserider

Mike Wilson said:
BeGreen said:
Seems better to keep it non-combustible. I like the sheetmetal idea, that's what we did.

Who suggested something combustible?

-- Mike

My error Mike, I somehow read chipboard. The reason I like metal as the final surface is that when one pulls out the stove for servicing, the back feet or leveling bolt(s) don't gouge a soft surface beneath them.

Ok, so I went for the mortar mix because the fireplace floor was so uneven. The finished product turned out better than I could have hoped! I mixed the mortar extra wet so it would "self level" (to a point) and then used a piece of lath for a float. The floor is completely level! I am going to add the 22 ga sheet metal like, Hillbilly, suqqested for ease of movement . I hope the liner and stove get here soon. I want to start a fire!!

Just for future reference I thought I would post a pic of the finished product.

Attachments

• Oct 24 2007 concrete floor002.jpg
    Oct 24 2007 concrete floor002.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,079
I wound up putting the same tile on my hearth in the fireplace floor. so it looks purty even with the insert out.

Status
Not open for further replies.