lighten that load... decrease weight of stove for transport?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billoetjen

Apr 22, 2006
Hi Folks,

As some of you may know, I decided on a new VC Encore non-cat.
It was delivered today and is such a heavy beast that the two guys delivering it were stopped from hauling it down to its basement home. They offered to come back with more help and finish the job (for more $$$) I gave them their meager tip and decided to get some friends for the last 60 feet of the journey.
Here's where I need advice.
I know that I can yank the doors, the griddle, andirons, reversible flue collar and grate to make it lighter. How about the refractory parts, the swing-out ashpan or other parts that won't require re-cementing or gasketing?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Bill that's about it. Im not familiar with the non cat Encore but the cat back castiron plates can be taken out by removing the wedges that the way one also changes the cat combustor behind those plates.
I would ramp the stairs maybe even plywood on top of the planks. Using a rope and my truck trailer hitch or the nearest tree. Wrap the rope around it twice and ease off the tention as the stove decends Think of the rope as a safety valve to control the decent. Also to prevent it from getting away from you

Hi,
So in the process of pulling off the pieces that aren't cemented or gasketed in-place, I had a good opportunity to examine the Encore up close and personal. I admired the planning and design of my old VC Resolute Acclaim. But the detail in the castings of the new stove are something else. It's a brilliant execution. I can't wait to fire it up and see if it operates as good as it looks. If it hangs on as well (15 years of 24/7 use for weeks on end) as the old Acclaim, I'll be one happy and loyal customer.
By the way, I checked out the Escalera on line and tried to rent one. Nothing available in Vt.
I'll have some friends help me heft it.
Bill

You're in luck! That unit is very easy to dismantle and put back together. It's just bolted together with stainless steel bolts and washers with gasketing instead of furnace cement. Go ahead an remove whatever you want. It goes back together like a puzzle. And yes, the entire refractory insides can be removed without dismantling the outer castings. You could move the stove yourself if you wanted to.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.