Lignetics hardwood/soft...2 versions??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just saw a post in another thread where the Lignetics Hardwood/softwood blend was discussed.

The poster mentioned about having the Lignetcs blend with the Blue lettering, and that they were not too good....I seem to remember the same type of comments about them either last winter, or the winter of '09-'10.

Interestingly enough, I bought a ton of Lignetics this summer that are a Hardwood/Softwood blend, but the bag has the green lettering, and it says "Hardwood and CONIFER Sawdust".

Anyone have any idea what the difference is?

Attachments

• DSCN0108.jpg
    DSCN0108.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 744
  • DSCN0106.jpg
    DSCN0106.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 794
Both the Green Labels and the Presto Logs, are both a blend. Both have the same exact "ingredients" written on the bag.

I thought the Blue Labels were the most sought after. Then again, Lignetics has 3 Plants. So maybe each plant makes a product and puts the pellets in a slightly different bag.

I am intersted to find out where this goes. I bought my 2 tons of Green Labels right at the end of last season (along with the Easy Heats) I only got to burn a couple bags. So testing was a crap shoot. The onlu small bit of info I got was that the Ash was darker (little darker pellet) and the Prestos registered just a little bit more heat. At least according to my little digital temperature gauge thats stuck in the heat exchange tube. (Digital cooking thermometer/not touching steel/measuring air temps)

I always thought that the Presto Logs were Lignetics "cheaper" pellet. Or at least thats what I gathered from here.

I am curious about the difference in Green and Blue Labels. The Greens and Presto's are both a Harwood and Conifer blend. This does not help you much. But its a little added info.

I can only get the Orange label product that comes from the Sandpoint, ID plant, so I am unable to compare them with the Green or Blue labeled bags. I am sure they are a fir/pine pellet, as they certainly smell that way. I have yet to fire the stove, getting close though, so I can not say any more about them.

Pretty sure the blue label is also a Hardwood/Softwood blend. Just bagged at a different plant AFAIK.

Here is what I gather on this. There are 2 Liggy plants on the east coast . Green labels and presto's produced at the WV and The blue label and the presto's at the Virginia plant. I think this is also why we see some good review on the presto's and others saying YUK! Some are the same as the blue label liggy's.

West coast plant is bagging the Orange labeled softwoods. I don't think they bag anything else.

:Disclaimer: This is just bits and pieces I put together from little birds and gosup. Not sure its 100% correct. I tried to get some insight from Lignetics, But there was no reply. If anything is out of place? Please correct!!!

I picked up 2 ton of Lignetics Saturday ($197) at TSC in Wheeling WV (Northern Panhandle). Bag is identical to the one pictured above except the banner states "MADE FROM THE FINEST HARDWOOD SAWDUST".

j-takeman said:

Here is what I gather on this. There are 2 Liggy plants on the east coast . Green labels and presto's produced at the WV and The blue label and the presto's at the Virginia plant. I think this is also why we see some good review on the presto's and others saying YUK! Some are the same as the blue label liggy's.

For what it is worth, I was told a similar thing from the owner of a hearth shop when I asked him why he switched from the one color label to the other. My apologies, as I don't remember for sure which one he prefers to carry, but he said he didn't pre-order/reserve enough of them for the 2010-2011 season from his preferred plant. Once late February 2011 came around, he said he couldn't get anymore from his preferred location so he had to order from the second. I recall him mentioning Virginia and West Virginia plants.

I got the same as what is in the pic, seems to put out alittle more heat than the green teams and awf pellets I used last year. One thing I noticed is they have added more to there wrapping, all the ones I bought last year were just several shrink wrap, the ones I just got have a thick tan plastic over then, and then shrink wrap over it, and the tan wrap is sealed at the top. Maybe lignetics have always been that way?

Panhandler said:
I picked up 2 ton of Lignetics Saturday ($197) at TSC in Wheeling WV (Northern Panhandle). Bag is identical to the one pictured above except the banner states "MADE FROM THE FINEST HARDWOOD SAWDUST".

I have a ton of these too. It will be interesting to see what I get from the two different versions.

Oh, and BTW, thanks everyone for the info. Get ready....heating season is (unfortunately) not far off.

The wife was bugging me so I fired up the stove. I had the hopper filled with Lignetics Orange label. Heat output is good, but after 10 lbs or so had burned a big soft clinker formed in the side of the fire box. It occupied about 1/3 of the box rather quickly. Hmm...I have never had any other brand of pellet do that so quickly. I shut down and removed it then another one formed this morning after about 2 1/2 hours of operation. So, I am somewhat disappointed in these pellets, which I paid $5.99/bag for. Fortunately I only bought two bags for evaluation, being that if I liked them, they were going for $199/ton. I think I will stay with Natural Glow this winter.

DMZX said:
The wife was bugging me so I fired up the stove. I had the hopper filled with Lignetics Orange label. Heat output is good, but after 10 lbs or so had burned a big soft clinker formed in the side of the fire box. It occupied about 1/3 of the box rather quickly. Hmm...I have never had any other brand of pellet do that so quickly. I shut down and removed it then another one formed this morning after about 2 1/2 hours of operation. So, I am somewhat disappointed in these pellets, which I paid $5.99/bag for. Fortunately I only bought two bags for evaluation, being that if I liked them, they were going for $199/ton. I think I will stay with Natural Glow this winter.

Try opening the air damper a little more.

imacman said:
DMZX said:

Try opening the air damper a little more.

I will try that.

I thought I had a good flame. The stove was thoroughly cleaned at the end of season last April.

DMZX said:
I thought I had a good flame. The stove was thoroughly cleaned at the end of season last April.

Including a LeafBlower treatment?

j-takeman said:
Pretty sure the blue label is also a Hardwood/Softwood blend. Just bagged at a different plant AFAIK.

West coast plant is bagging the Orange labeled softwoods. I don't think they bag anything else.

:Disclaimer: This is just bits and pieces I put together from little birds and gosup. Not sure its 100% correct. I tried to get some insight from Lignetics, But there was no reply. If anything is out of place? Please correct!!!

I had some trouble with some of the green labeled bags last year and Lignetics rep told me they came from new plant in Virginia. I will say Lignetics folks were very responsive to my complaint and I am burining them again this year. Just bought at TSC for 200/ton.

Rick502 said:
j-takeman said:

I had some trouble with some of the green labeled bags last year and Lignetics rep told me they came from new plant in Virginia. I will say Lignetics folks were very responsive to my complaint and I am burining them again this year. Just bought at TSC for 200/ton.

Welcome to the forums and Thank you for sharing. What did they do to help/fix the issue you had with them? What exactly was the trouble if we may ask? I tried emailing Lignetics a few times and never got the time of day from them. But I was only asking questions and didn't have a product issue. Glad someone responded to you problem!

J - I had been using Lignetics for 4 seasons, last year I ran into a problem with very high ash and low heat from one pallet.My father in law had same issue but when I checked with dealer they'd had no other complaints, seemed like isolated problem. I sent sample back to Lignetics and they ended up making good on the portion of pellets that were poor, apparently the moisture content was not up to their standards. I gotta say the company rep was responsive and good to deal with, couple emails and phone calls.

I just picked up 8 bags of the blue label Lignetics from TSC to try out before popping for a ton. THIS year the blue label says "MADE FROM THE FINEST HARDWOOD SAWDUST" whereas the bags I had LAST year said "MADE FROM THE FINEST HARDWOOD & CONIFER SAWDUST" My Quad CB 1200 burned last years Ligs great so am looking forward to see what this years batch of JUST hardwood brings :)

Status
Not open for further replies.