Like a kid in a candy store

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
Went back to a score I've been working for a while this morning. They had the loader with grapple sitting there for me to use. I cut a load, then started pulling logs out of the windrows and putting them up in a stockpile. Cords and cords of ash, oak, cherry, and elm, all for me. There is about a quarter mile of windrows, and it's all going to get burned this summer, so I'm gonna get all I can piled up, then cut at my leisure.

There is plenty to share, more than I'll be able to get. A lot of it is going to go up in smoke. Anybody south of Ann Arbor that's interested, PM me.

Attachments

• IMG_20110708_135116.jpg
    IMG_20110708_135116.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_20110708_140403.jpg
    IMG_20110708_140403.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_20110708_140446.jpg
    IMG_20110708_140446.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 579
Awesome Score!

My wife is starting to get kinda pissy, says we have plenty. Which we do, I've got about 15 cords stacked up right now. This is going to at least double that, hopefully more. Then I'm taking a couple years off ;-)

jeff_t said:
My wife is starting to get kinda pissy, says we have plenty. Which we do, I've got about 15 cords stacked up right now. This is going to at least double that, hopefully more. Then I'm taking a couple years off ;-)

Yea well with a 1557 (I have one to) Tell her to grab her gloves and lets get hump-en! lol My gf helps all the time...Glad she on board you can never have to much wood with that furnace.lol :lol:

smokinjay said:
jeff_t said:

Yea well with a 1557 (I have one to) Tell her to grab her gloves and lets get hump-en! lol My gf helps all the time...Glad she on board you can never have to much wood with that furnace.lol :lol:

Once the BK gets fired up, along with a couple other projects around the house, I'm hoping my wood consumption falls at least somewhat dramatically.

jeff_t said:
smokinjay said:
jeff_t said:

Once the BK gets fired up, along with a couple other projects around the house, I'm hoping my wood consumption falls at least somewhat dramatically.

Got it down to 10 cords last year best year ever....lol 2600 sqft full wind in every direction. Heating dhw as well. Could shave a couple more off if the winter is better.

I like processing firewood too much I think, if you are like me I would just start selling some surplus, but stay at least three years ahead, so say if you burn 5 cords a year that 15 cord will last three years so any surplus sell it for beer money or to pay off any equipment costs like saws so the wood is truly free (minus labor).

WoodPyro said:
I like processing firewood too much I think, if you are like me I would just start selling some surplus, but stay at least three years ahead, so say if you burn 5 cords a year that 15 cord will last three years so any surplus sell it for beer money or to pay off any equipment costs like saws so the wood is truly free (minus labor).

People sell wood too cheap around here. Too many people out of work, trying to make a buck. I'd rather sit and look at it, or give it to someone who truly needs it.

Can't say I blame you at all, if you have the room for it I would just keep stockpiling, I hope to have enough when I get ready to retire ( at least 30 years away) I don't have to cut much any more any but have enough left for as long as I can feed the stove, otherwise sell it cheap or up to you to figure out how to give it to people that need it, I would be worried people that can't afford stuff would have a wood burner not anywhere near code and end up costing them house or lives.

I think I'd be hiring a log truck to haul and stack that in my yard as high as he could. Maybe sort the maple and beech out from the oak, ash and cherry and get that burned up first as it rots faster ! Great score!

jeff_t said:
Cords and cords of ash, oak, cherry, and elm, all for me.
You are indeed fortunate. :)

Thats gotta be the score of the year Jeff....congrats...looks nice and straight also.....nice quick and easy work.

jeff_t said:
Went back to a score I've been working for a while this morning. They had the loader with grapple sitting there for me to use. I cut a load, then started pulling logs out of the windrows and putting them up in a stockpile. Cords and cords of ash, oak, cherry, and elm, all for me. There is about a quarter mile of windrows, and it's all going to get burned this summer, so I'm gonna get all I can piled up, then cut at my leisure.

There is plenty to share, more than I'll be able to get. A lot of it is going to go up in smoke. Anybody south of Ann Arbor that's interested, PM me.

Great score, like someone posted you can never have enough.

gibir

Sweet view from the operator's seat. Is the land going into Ag production or getting paved over?

SolarAndWood said:
Sweet view from the operator's seat. Is the land going into Ag production or getting paved over?

There will be corn there next year. Few acres of woods sticking out into a big field. They cleared it to square things up.

Great find Jeff and I hope you do find someone to share it with. Oh, and don't stop until you have at least 30 cord. That is sweet!

If I was closer and my back wasn't currently all jacked up I'd come grab some. :lol: Looks like one heck of a haul!

[quote author="rdust" date="1310251623"and my back wasn't currently all jacked up[/quote]

That seems to be a common story around The Wood Shed lately. You guys need to take er easy and heal up. This is the wrong time of year to be nursing injuries.

jeff_t said:
SolarAndWood said:

There will be corn there next year. Few acres of woods sticking out into a big field. They cleared it to square things up.

We are seeing a lot of that around here too. Farmers are getting bigger and bigger equipment and trying to remove all the obstacles in the fields. I have a few similar offers to yours. None of them came with a "and you can use my payloader with the grapple on it" though. I'd be all over that.

SolarAndWood said:
jeff_t said:
SolarAndWood said:

We are seeing a lot of that around here too. Farmers are getting bigger and bigger equipment and trying to remove all the obstacles in the fields. I have a few similar offers to yours. None of them came with a "and you can use my payloader with the grapple on it" though. I'd be all over that.

Old friends. I used to work for them now and then when they were busy, and they helped me out a few years ago when I was unemployed. Good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.