"lil" maple today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I revisited a site from last month. Nothing special just some MORE maple, but it's whats I can get right now. I really don't mind it, nice sizes, splits easy and seasons fast. I'll take what I can get for free.

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 366
  • timberjack.jpg
    timberjack.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 377
  • newmaple-1.jpg
    newmaple-1.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 371
ckarotka said:
I revisited a site from last month. Nothing special just some MORE maple, but it's whats I can get right now. I really don't mind it, nice sizes, splits easy and seasons fast. I'll take what I can get for free.

ckarota nice, is that sugar maple?

zap

Zap,

I really don't know what sugar maple is or looks like, so I'm not sure. Green leaves in the traditional maple leaf pattern with a smooth gray bark on the younger trees and limbs.

Charlie

ckarotka said:
Zap,

I really don't know what sugar maple is or looks like, so I'm not sure. Green leaves in the traditional maple leaf pattern with a smooth gray bark on the younger trees and limbs.

Charlie

Looks like sugar maple, do you have a picture of the leaves?

zap

No I don't. I didn't think it was anything good cuz I could get all kinds of this stuff from all over. I will get a pic of a tree around the house. These trees are everywhere around my area. The whole area this guy is clearing all the same maple. Tall thin trunks.

ckarotka said:
No I don't. I didn't think it was anything good cuz I could get all kinds of this stuff from all over. I will get a pic of a tree around the house. These trees are everywhere around my area. The whole area this guy is clearing all the same maple. Tall thin trunks.

If it's sugar maple thats good firewood, might want and check what kind it is. Up here it's hard to get sugar maple (the sap is used to make maple syrup) I take any maple thats down but won't cut any.

zap

That be Red Maple and it does season fast.
Red Maple leaves are smaller than Sugar Maple.
Nice score and nice cant hook.

WoodButcher

The more I get into this "green" feeling I don't like to see trees come down just for fuel either. This guy is doing all the dropping and if I don't take it some else will. Another guy took most of the stuff closest to the road but disappeared when the wheelbarrows came out. I would imagine he will clear up to an acre for the house. This section so far is for the driveway. I also gave a couple loads to the neighbor.

ckarotka said:
The more I get into this "green" feeling I don't like to see trees come down just for fuel either. This guy is doing all the dropping and if I don't take it some else will. Another guy took most of the stuff closest to the road but disappeared when the wheelbarrows came out. I would imagine he will clear up to an acre for the house. This section so far is for the driveway. I also gave a couple loads to the neighbor.

If he's felling I'd be a taker also.

zap

Looks good. Beats cuttin in a dirty overgrown pile.

if ya get a chance, take a pic of the leaf. I know that the maple leaves look the same to a lot of people, but I bet we can ID it with just a leaf. Here's a picture, for example, of a Norway and a Sugar. You can see some significant differences....
Leaves20041017-033SE3C1.jpg

Yeah, the green and orange are a dead give away! :lol:

wendell said:
Yeah, the green and orange are a dead give away! :lol:
lol, smartass...

WOODBUTCHER said:
That be Red Maple and it does season fast.
Red Maple leaves are smaller than Sugar Maple.
Nice score and nice cant hook.

WoodButcher

That is my buddies hook. I wanted to try one out before buying. That tool is worth every penny and will be my next investment. He replaced the bolt in the foot with a pin to use it just as a hook when needed. Northern tool has one for about $50 plus shipping with a fiberglass handle.

Charlie

Hard to tell from the pictures but probably soft maple. If so, it will split very easy and dry quite fast. That also is what we use for kindling wood because it lights easy. Also, once you split it into kindling it will dry even faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.