limestone painting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal MA
hello again, friends...
i'm finally completing my install... as of now the insert has been resting upon some bricks to make it level with the fireplace. i finally got a chunk of limestone to slide under it. the issue is that the limestone is light gray and we'd like to paint it black to match the rest of the fireplace. any input as to how to go about this? do i need to seal it first? will the heat from the fireplace be an issue with the paint?
many thanks in advance!

Limestone is very porous and may take a stain. Home cheapo has sealants in the tile section that add color to some natural stone tiles. Try it on a scrap peice first and tell us how it turned out.

they make a concrete stain that may work well on that. i think it will look more natural as well. what ever you choose, as the above poster stated, try it on a piece of scrap stock or the bottom of the piece itself

Status
Not open for further replies.