Liner essentials

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtcedinburgh

Sep 19, 2006
Fife Riviera, Scotland
Hi folks.

Finally had a look 'up the lum' in our 'good room' - I had previously assumed it to be lined with 316 flexi, but it turns out just to be the original clay liner, though we've been using it with a 12kW gas fireplace with no problems.

Which brings me to a question: if we're fine with a clay liner for this output of gas fire, would we be okay with a 7kW clean burning wood-burner? The draft is quite good, and the liner has a diameter of approximately 8".

If it helps I can take a photo - shall I?

john

If the wood burner states in the manual that they flue size you have would work, then you will be in good shape. I assume you are not planning on running both gas and wood on the same flue?
This is also assuming that your clay liner is up to snuff to burn wood....

What's the age of the flue? Is it interior or an exterior flue? Will you need to extend the hearth? Ask your sweep to take a look at the whole system. What you see a the bottom is not necessarily how it will look at the top. But if all is in good condition, it sounds like you may be able to use it.

The flue is likely original with the house, which makes it 106 years old. I presume a standard smoke test would reveal if it's good enough for wood burning?

Is there anything specific about wood burning that would make it more demanding on the flue than gas?

I'm not planning on running both gas and wood, MSG - we'd have the gas disconnected from the hearth (not sure exactly how this is done - hopefully it's not a big job).

Of course, we may just end up with a gas insert - that's a real possibility as well, and I reckon a gas insert must be okay if a gas open fire (living flame type) is.

Gas burns relatively cleanly. Wood smoke is more corrosive and has a lot more chemistry involved. It is very unlikely that the gas stove would ever cause a chimney fire whereas accumulated creosote can.

What is the cost of gas vs wood in your area? It might be worth comparing each to see if this is a cost effective change.

Just my opinion, but were it me I would put the liner in the flue. Besides the age of the flue your Owl is multi-fuel capable and putting a multi-fuel rated liner in right from the start gives you better draft, easier cleaning and confidence in the flue no matter what you burn in the stove on any given day.

Status
Not open for further replies.