Lintel iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mobetter

Dec 17, 2008
Indiana
I have been considering a Kozy Heat Z42. On the options it lists a lintel iron. Where does this lintle iron go, what is it's purpose?

A lintel is a horizontal structural member, just like a header. It is supported on each end and spans some distance, creating an opening in a wall. In the case of a typical masonry fireplace, if the structure already exists, then there undoubtedly is a lintel existing in it. It would typically be a stout steel angle iron embedded in the masonry on either side of, and extending across the top of, the firebox opening, and supporting the masonry or whatever above. If your ZC fireplace was already installed, the lintel would be the structural member spanning the opening just above the fireplace holding up whatever's up there, so the fireplace bears no weight. Rick

Thank you,

I looked at the install PDF on Kozys website and found no mention of it. I am so thankful for this site, hopefully this install will be a one and done deal. I am still on the fence between an Z42 and the few freestanding units on my short list. I will take my time, research, and weigh my options. Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.