Little help on what type of wood this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

70marlin

Feb 26, 2010
Grass Lake mi
Does anybody have any idea what type of wood this is? It's either some kind of maple or hickory?

Attachments

• GEDC0074 (Small).jpg
    GEDC0074 (Small).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 509
That is a really cool pattern! The chunk in the very bottom right corner (standing up) looks exactly like cherry. So I'm saying cherry?

The bark, what I can see of it sure looks like Black Cherry. So does the wood now that I take another look. How does it smell?

Edit, only the round in the lower right looks like cherry, the rest with the spalting marks ??

Spalted Maple.

It is wormy red maple. If you where to split it open you would find small worm holes in the dark streaks. This is how the wood reacts to the invasion of the worms by laying down a mineral deposit. Usually this comes from areas of low ground, and can get quite a lot of worm track in it . If you where to flip your upolstered furnature upside down you would more than likely find worm red(soft) Maple as the frame stock. It will burn just like any other soft maple( red, silver, norway)

smokinjay said:
Spalted Maple.

Spalted maple is from dead trees, this tree was alive and would continue to live a long time. I have seen soft maple3'+ in diameter, and have 16/4 lumber sawn out of this size tree just loaded with worm track.

Most of it is silver maple, so it seems.

nrford said:
smokinjay said:
Spalted Maple.

Spalted maple is from dead trees, this tree was alive and would continue to live a long time. I have seen soft maple3'+ in diameter, and have 16/4 lumber sawn out of this size tree just loaded with worm track.

It can come from live trees I see it all the time mainly in silver but can be in any tree.

Attachments

• resize splatt.jpg
    resize splatt.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 371
There is a round of cherry in the front right corner, the rest is either norway maple, red maple, or silver maple (one of the soft maples). Definitely not spalted...Jay for a guy who works with wood as often as you, you ought to know your wood better by now, man! (it's the internet, so I have to mention that this is just a friendly ribbing)

chinkapin_oak said:
There is a round of cherry in the front right corner, the rest is either norway maple, red maple, or silver maple (one of the soft maples). Definitely not spalted...Jay for a guy who works with wood as often as you, you ought to know your wood better by now, man! (it's the internet, so I have to mention that this is just a friendly ribbing)

I hope you know what spalted is or I am going to loose it! lol Thats spalted hickory in the pic.

spalted comes from live tress, too. just my 2cents.

smokinjay said:
I hope you know what spalted is or I am going to loose it! lol Thats spalted hickory in the pic.

haha yes, the picture you showed is definitely loaded with spalt, but the OP's pic is different.

I think nrford has it right. If the original poster cut some slabs off those rounds there will probly be a couple small worm holes behind every dark streak. It does make for pretty lumber if your into that stuff.

Jay, i know I should cut you some slack. sometimes its hard to see things in small internet pics. Even so, If I ever head your way I should give you a brief course on identifying tree species from the endgrain! haha

chinkapin_oak said:
smokinjay said:

haha yes, the picture you showed is definitely loaded with spalt, but the OP's pic is different.

I think nrford has it right. If the original poster cut some slabs off those rounds there will probly be a couple small worm holes behind every dark streak. It does make for pretty lumber if your into that stuff.

Jay, i know I should cut you some slack. sometimes its hard to see things in small internet pics. Even so, If I ever head your way I should give you a brief course on identifying tree species from the endgrain! haha

lol we will see what you got. Its not spalt its Spalted. And no my piece has no worm holes. Dead tree really is not a good term at all. What the heck do I know..............

Jay, the picture you posted is in fact spalted. While that tree may have been alive it was not long for this world. Spalting is an early stage of rot. While there are no worm tracks in your pic I can gaurentee I could show you some in the first photos in this tread.

nrford said:
Jay, the picture you posted is in fact spalted. While that tree may have been alive it was not long for this world. Spalting is an early stage of rot. While there are no worm tracks in your pic I can gaurentee I could show you some in the first photos in this tread.

I will agree with that, but the tree doesnt need to be dead to show splated wood. (thats all I am saying)

Looks like spalted firewood then.

Thanks for the reply! the splater pattern is truly beautiful, makes me want to make table tops. these trees are all very alive or well .

3fordasho said:
The bark, what I can see of it sure looks like Black Cherry. So does the wood now that I take another look. How does it smell?

Edit, only the round in the lower right looks like cherry, the rest with the spalting marks ??
Your correct there is some black cherry in the pic. But the round in question isn't cherry. The way it splits up make me feel like it's maple, nice white straight grain wood. I did find a few round with black ants in them.

I keep telling you it is soft(hardwood industry term for red maple)maple

Status
Not open for further replies.