Little Jay Test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
So J must have rubbed off, did a little testing the last few weeks. We have some newer brands in town, and also a few that have been around. The winners are one old and one new, kind of funny. Of note these were overnight burns (steady), 40 lbs each, then cleaned stove and measured. Sorry for the crappy phone picts! From left to right:

Yellow #1) InDeck 08-09 Lot Good pellet but got ashier last year, lot before this one was better. Decent heat. $180 ton.
Red #2) InDeck 06-10 Lot Again, little less ash than last year, decent heat. $180 ton.
Green #3) And the winner is....Noah's Horse Bedding! Same as Blazers, all I can say is don't touch the stove top when these are cooking. Little clinker, very low ash (bag pictured). $200 ton.
Green #4) A close second from the new guy on the block! Rib Mountain, LLC. Pine. Low ash, very good heat. Not bad for the first timer. Very small pellets. $180 ton. Smell like fresh cut 2x4's (bag pictured).
Orange #5) The old stand by, by Fiber By Products. The FBP's have always been a predictable good pellet for me, low ash, good heat. $180 ton.

So the story is don't be shy to try something new, there is lot to lot differences sometimes, and sometimes the good old good old is just fine too.

Attachments

• 0310011850.jpg
    0310011850.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 533
  • 0310011852a.jpg
    0310011852a.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 538
you'll have to update your screen name to little jay.
:lol:

Little Jay. Hummm. Hey big Jay, you know those rebags? Check out Rib Mountain in Athens WI. Really close to Marth, wonder if it's a shell co to get past the Marth name? Although I'd buy it again, much better than Marth!

Lol, you guys have way too much time on your hands.
Not knockin your fun if it blows your skirt up but I think it's a waste of time.
All the testing required for most people is to
try a couple bags - if a brand works for ya then buy up and
dump them in.

Xena said:
Not knockin your fun if it blows your skirt up but I think it's a waste of time.
dump them in.

Agreed, but it is fun. It is also good to know that a 'feeling' about a particular pellet is on the mark. As an example, the InDeck's from lot to lot 'seemed' to get a bit better ash wise, it was nice to see the proof. I'm done for now, time to go tap some maples....

Xena said:
dump them in.

I agree, if they did not vary so much from batch to batch the results would be more valid. BUT I do apprecate that some people do this because I definitely try to avoid the ones that get bad reviews. Don't stop testing Jay et al!!! Thanks for spreading the knowlegde.

Czech said:
Little Jay. Hummm. Hey big Jay, you know those rebags? Check out Rib Mountain in Athens WI. Really close to Marth, wonder if it's a shell co to get past the Marth name? Although I'd buy it again, much better than Marth!

I think one has caused enough trouble around here! :) hehe

The biggest reason for rebagging is to keep dealers that sell brandx happy, So out comes the different bag to sell at box or farm stores. Most times you will see clues like same address or similar wording that spills the beans. They can change the bag, But we usually figure it out.

Czech said:
Xena said:
dump them in.

Agreed, but it is fun. It is also good to know that a 'feeling' about a particular pellet is on the mark. As an example, the InDeck's from lot to lot 'seemed' to get a bit better ash wise, it was nice to see the proof. I'm done for now, time to go tap some maples....

Czech, You will get a few that say your wasting your time, But the majority are with us. Don't let them discourage ya! I too like seeing the end result and once your used to doing it its rather fun. So until PFI does random spot checks, I'll keep doing my own. How many pellet burners can say they made the mills step it up and produce a better product? Not many for sure, specially the ones that don't share there experience and post visible results(proof) on how bad some pellets really are!

Now that I see your Indeck results, Makes me want to go find some. Also interesting on how good a bedding pellet is. I always though they just rebagged them, But the actual product wasn't much different inside. I'm impressed with what you have show us. :)

Hey now. Wasn't tryin to discourage anyone.
Like I said if it blows yer skirt up
then knock yourself out. Just sayin I just don't have time
to read all that stuff so the quickest
and most accurate test for my stove and
any given pellet is to simply try a
few bags. Enjoy your testing! :coolsmile:
coaster.gif

Czech said:
So J must have rubbed off, did a little testing the last few weeks. We have some newer brands in town, and also a few that have been around. The winners are one old and one new, kind of funny. Of note these were overnight burns (steady), 40 lbs each, then cleaned stove and measured. Sorry for the crappy phone picts! From left to right:

Yellow #1) InDeck 08-09 Lot Good pellet but got ashier last year, lot before this one was better. Decent heat. $180 ton.
Red #2) InDeck 06-10 Lot Again, little less ash than last year, decent heat. $180 ton.
Green #3) And the winner is....Noah's Horse Bedding! Same as Blazers, all I can say is don't touch the stove top when these are cooking. Little clinker, very low ash (bag pictured). $200 ton.
Green #4) A close second from the new guy on the block! Rib Mountain, LLC. Pine. Low ash, very good heat. Not bad for the first timer. Very small pellets. $180 ton. Smell like fresh cut 2x4's (bag pictured).
Orange #5) The old stand by, by Fiber By Products. The FBP's have always been a predictable good pellet for me, low ash, good heat. $180 ton.

So the story is don't be shy to try something new, there is lot to lot differences sometimes, and sometimes the good old good old is just fine too.

Nice job Czech! With ya on the indecks, burnt them last year and they were great! But...... this years threw decent heat but piles of coarse ash. Have you had a chance to try the lumberjack pellets? Last year not so good but was told they have turned things around at the plant, adding red pine to the mix so i bought a few bags made the last week of january this year and gave them a try and there is a world of difference. Super heat and very low ash and the smell of pine everywhere! Ash is very fine and powdery. Picked up a ton last sat. made the 2nd week of february and they are also top notch! Going back for more tomorrow!

I second the Lumberjacks.
My Indecks were just OK ..but LJ s win on smell and 3 hour longer burn time..heat was a little lower..so I ran my stove up 1 level and it still outlasted Indecks by over an hour..maybe 2.

Still able to get LJ at 3.99 in North Branch

Hey Taperbill ! Yes, they have turned things around since last year! Seem to be throwing as much heat as the others i have burnt. Bought them for 3.69=184.50 a ton. Going back for more tomorrow. Should be set for next year!

If you guys look on C's List in MSP, there's a post for Lumber Jack's for sub $200 in the northern suburbs? Not sure who it is selling, and I have not burned those before. I'm more south, have a farmer my way that takes care of me. Try the Rib Mts if you see them, I had the pine, they make a pine hardwood mix too. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.