Load 5 of the Season - Almost Done

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMonter

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
Hayden, ID
Well here was the fifth load of the season. Red Fir again, but had to work a lot harder than the last load. Everything was again standing dead trees up the hill that we pulled down with a cable and block in most instances.

Pretty dang close to a cord and a half on the truck this round.
Load 5 View 3.JPGLoad 5 View 1.JPGLoad 5 View 2.JPG

One of these days I'll remember to bring my camera and tripod to show off how we get trees down the hill. You can see the new wood rack that is about 75% complete in the background. All that is left on that is to install the roof plywood, tar paper and metal roof panels.

Are you planning to burn that wood this winter? How dry is dead standing wood in Idaho? I imagine your standing dead wood gets a lot drier than standing dead wood here in PA, which isn't very dry.

having the stack rails on the truck sure does help doesn't it...plan on building a set for my truck for the winter hauling

Are you planning to burn that wood this winter? How dry is dead standing wood in Idaho? I imagine your standing dead wood gets a lot drier than standing dead wood here in PA, which isn't very dry.

Nothing I'm getting this year will be burned unless we have a really cold winter and I use a lot more firewood than normal. At this point I'm about a load into being 2 seasons ahead of the game and I'm hoping to get 2-3 more loads of wood before the season is done. The last load will likely be a load of lodgepole pine which is easy to find and makes great shoulder season wood. I can find lodgepole here that is 20-24% moisture when I cut it meaning I don't even have to let it sit before burning it.

Nice work TMonter! How 'bout some more pics of that shed you have in the background of the first photo? Would love to see the stacks from these loads you are getting.

Nice haul, and I like the way you load that truck! I've been thinking about building sideboards like that for my truck. And I'll second that request for some pics of the woodshed, and maybe a pic or vid of the tree removal on the side of the mountain...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Good night! That's a lot of wood on that Ford!;)
Was thinking the same thing myself, but i guess the western softwoods aren't as dense so the truck can handle it. Nice stacking though!

Red fir is about 21.6-22k Btu/lb so lower than many hardwoods and better than some, but the big difference I cut standing dead stuff which has a considerably lower moisture content than even standing dead hardwoods. Direct measurement on most of the standing dead timber is about 30-35% moisture by the time I start splitting and at the end of 8 weeks most of my wood is well below 30% moisture.

Just as a side note I did overheat the brakes coming down the hill with that load and had to pull over and wait for things to cool. Put it in low range for the rest of the trip down. Been meaning to do some work on brakes here in the near future.

having the stack rails on the truck sure does help doesn't it...plan on building a set for my truck for the winter hauling
If i has sides like that on my shortbed 1/2 ton i would be sitting on the axle and probly break it before i even pull off!! But i mostly cut oak, even pine around here will blow out my truck.

If i has sides like that on my shortbed 1/2 ton i would be sitting on the axle and probly break it before i even pull off!! But i mostly cut oak, even pine around here will blow out my truck.

Well this is a standard F250 3/4 Truck without any add-a leafs or airbags. I have been considering a set of leveling airbags for it for things like this.

That fords barely even squating , i see room for at least 5 more splits. ;lol

Reactions: barn burner
Thats a sweet load. I need to build some sides like that too. I agree, post shed pics! Be well

Thats a sweet load. I need to build some sides like that too. I agree, post shed pics! Be well

I'll post some more shed pictures as I finish the roof here. I'm taking pictures as I make progress so it shouldn't be a problem. I didn't get a chance to get the roofing today since I had a lot of work going on.

Nice load.

"Don't mind the mule, load the wagon."
Nice load.

"One of these days I'll remember to bring my camera and tripod to show off how we get trees down the hill"
More pictures is always a good thing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.