Load it in the shed or give it another year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I have a pile of Silver Maple and Siberian Elm that was dropped and split last fall that seems to be moving along nicely. I am tempted to throw it in the shed and burn it this year. Think it is good to go or should I wait another year? I have to move it either way as it is sitting in the path of this years scrounging that I am way late starting.

Attachments

• 080311 1yo splits.jpg
    080311 1yo splits.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 700
  • 080311 1yo split close.jpg
    080311 1yo split close.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 649
I say put it in the shed. It looks ready and if your gonna have to move it anyway you might as well just put it in the shed. I hate having to move a pile more than once.

Absolutely put it in the shed. Maybe stack the elm to the back for some extra time, but the maple should be well seasoned.

XactLEE said:
Fall cut = ahead of the MC game.

Does it really make that much of a difference? Enough that my procrastination might actually be a good strategy?

Shed.

SolarAndWood said:
XactLEE said:

Does it really make that much of a difference? Enough that my procrastination might actually be a good strategy?

A lot of the moisture starts to retreat to the roots once the leaves start dropping. I can't quote numbers, however.

+1 Up the chimney!!

SolarAndWood said:
XactLEE said:

I don' think it ever pays to wait. I think a live tree dropped, cut, and split now will be better seasoned than wood from a similar tree cut in the fall or winter.

SolarAndWood said:
XactLEE said:

Yes. But it appears some are thinking just because it was fall cut there is less moisture. There may be less but I really don't think it is enough that you would notice. The reason it makes a difference is that by this fall it has had a year to dry. So, you have to move it, move it to the shed and smile.

Backwoods Savage said:
But it appears some are thinking just because it was fall cut there is less moisture.

Gotcha, me included. I am amazed how fast it dried. Kinda makes me feel better about all the lessers I take. I don't really 'need' that much of the primo stuff, maybe a cord or two per winter.

Looks pretty good to me.. I say shed too and try to stack it loosely to drive out any extra moisture...

Ray

Finish it in the shed. And if any bark can pop off easily, I'd remove that, too. I've found in my damp summer here that I'm getting mold under my loose bark.

maplewood said:
I've found in my damp summer

After an extremely wet Spring, it has been bone dry with very few exceptions this Summer here. Throw in good wind for most of the time and it has been a banner year for drying firewood. I've enjoyed the view while spending many hours watering the garden :coolsmirk:

Shed it you should be good to go this Fall.

definitely shed. go for it.........................

I have some wood laying around this year like that, that im going to throw in the shed and give some of my oak another year. some cotton wood and maple. then come next year ill have 3 year old oak. When are you going to start loading the shed? im getting ready to start very soon. as i want it all done by september.

I started filling it this weekend. I have another load of siding that I am going to spray in there before I completely fill it, but should be done with that in the next week or two.

Good feeling to have al that work done

Status
Not open for further replies.