Local Pellet Choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrsdws

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Central Illinois
As I jealously read about all of the pellet choices many of you have and the reviews given (thank you for so much for the effort), I realize that the choices I'm aware of in Central Illinois are mostly what you East Coast folks burn as shoulder pellets.

Here's a shortlist of pellets I've found locally (one hour drive distance).

The revolving pellet door list available from Menards...this year regular prices are $3.47/bag and I bought on sale recently at $3.39. Apparently the Menards stores get whatever corporate sends them. Here's what I've seen so far.

Somersets - the hottest and cleanest burning I've found and keep for the coldest months
Magic Spark - I like this pellet - same as Pro Pellet I think - not has hot as Somersets but not far off and nice and clean
Indeck Energy - have seen them at Menards but haven't burned these
Pennywise - brief test last year - very dirty, dusty, lots of fines - average heat

Various farm stores....prices usually higher.

Pro Pellets - I like it...just like Magic Spark and usually around $3.99 or $3.59 on sale
Ozark Hardwood Pellets - Haven't tried them, but at $4.59/bag for the reviews I've read I'm in no rush

I've not scoured every Lowes of Home Depot store, but many don't even sell pellets here. They might have a couple of stoves on shelf, but no fuel. One local Lowes had Somersets all of last year at $5.99/bag while Menards regular price was like $3.79.

So, while I'm lucky to have a couple of decent choices and what I consider great prices, I still would love to have the opportunity to try and compare pellets such as Hamers, Okanogans, and a few others and run the numbers on value.

I should add that in my biomass furnace I still mix pellets with corn as I've been lucky on corn pricing. In my garage Baby Countryside I'm going to run straight pellets.

Sorry for the early morning can't sleep rambling!!!

Somersets, Pro Pellets (just as clean as Somersets) and Lignetics are about as good as it gets here. Have quite a few others. But none worth a d@mn.

This Spring and Summer I am going to concentrate on just getting Somersets from here out. I can get them for $175/ton normally through Menards. Ultimately I would like to split a truckload (22 ton) with a certain Forum member.
I am done experimenting with other brands around me. Somersets from mow on. Until something better locally comes around.

Love early morning Rants. Nothing like them...

BTW- How is that Baby been burning? Still burning good with the airwash Mod?

Hadn't been burning her until last night. Forcast was for an overnight low of 25 degrees so I fired her up at 6:00pm. Inside temp was 47deg...outside was about 34. I let it burn all night on heat level one and at 6:00am outside temp was 23deg and the garage was 68deg!!! The wifey loved how warm her truck was this morning but that's WAY warmer than I plan on keeping the garage. LOL

Time to work on dialing it down lower and utilizing the thermostat.

Air wash mod still in place, but ash pan gasket really fixed her up. I might try opening the air wash slot back up just to see how it does.

DexterDay said:
Somersets, Pro Pellets (just as clean as Somersets) and Lignetics are about as good as it gets here. Have quite a few others. But none worth a d@mn.

This Spring and Summer I am going to concentrate on just getting Somersets from here out. I can get them for $175/ton normally through Menards. Ultimately I would like to split a truckload (22 ton) with a certain Forum member.
I am done experimenting with other brands around me. Somersets from mow on. Until something better locally comes around.

If you split with me, I will buy the beer and lunch on unloading day!! ;-)

Eatonpcat said:
DexterDay said:

If you split with me, I will buy the beer and lunch on unloading day!! ;-)

You were the "certain member" I was talking about ... ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.