Loco for Locust ~ Today's Score with Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnuba

Feb 10, 2011
South Central PA
First day of holiday vacation and I hit the jackpot!! :)

Attachments

• DSC_2245.jpg
    DSC_2245.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 547
  • DSC_2249.jpg
    DSC_2249.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 555
  • DSC_2246.jpg
    DSC_2246.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 539
  • DSC_2255.jpg
    DSC_2255.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC_2260.jpg
    DSC_2260.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 555
Excellent! I'd love to get my hands on some BL, but not much around me - I'm sure you are loaded with it! Will be awesome cold weather BTU's! Cheers!

barnuba said:

Nice score barnuba, what will the second day bring?

zap

Great wood looks good get all you can :zip:

You got some serious BTUs on that load.
Great score. :)

barnuba said:
zapny said:
barnuba said:

zap

SPLITTING! Lot of splitting :)

Have a good day splitting, just took a look at the outside temp, 46 degrees, what are you getting in PA.

zap

zapny said:
barnuba said:
zapny said:
barnuba said:

zap

SPLITTING! Lot of splitting :)

Have a good day splitting, just took a look at the outside temp, 46 degrees, what are you getting in PA.

zap

45 right now with a forecasted high of 55!

I may need to wear a speedo so I can stay cool while I split this stuff :)

That is a nice big Black Locust. how did the trailer handle that load? Your trailer looks exactly like mine.

Nice score.

Same 5x 8 trailer here i think from lowes "carry all or on " or something like that.

Had mine loaded with some large oak rounds i thought it was maxed didn't dare to load more on.

Attachments

• postftg.jpg
    postftg.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 391
Fellas, I urge you to know your trailer. In the 5x8 or 5x10 size trailer it is very common to have one of two axles. Either a 1500 pound our a 3500 pound axle. You don't have to be a math wiz to understand the huge difference in load capacity between the two. Load appropriately.

Nice looking load of locust - I love that stuff.

Wood Duck said:
That is a nice big Black Locust. how did the trailer handle that load? Your trailer looks exactly like mine.

This is a Lowes special, Carry-on Trailer, rated at 1500#. I've hauled a ton of wood with this thing and have to admit the limits of the trailer have been pushed. All things considered this trailer does extremely well. Fortunately, this load was about 6 miles from my house - all backroads - so I took it real slow.

Jags,
My lowes trailer says 1900lbs ish. Its just hard to guesstimate as I load. What does a 24"x19" round of white Oak weigh? I know i cant lift it lol.

ProjectX said:
What does a 24"x19" round of white Oak weigh? I know i cant lift it lol.

Don't know, but it didn't take too many of these white oak rounds to max my 3500# trailer - thats for sure:

Attachments

• oak5.jpg
    oak5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 328
I have not loaded mine with firewood much higher than the side bars. 1500# is about half a cord, give or take, and 5 ft x 8 ft x 2 ft deep is more than half a cord of volume, so I guess I should stop loading at 2 ft deep. Glad to see that these trailers can take a little more than their rated capacity.

Wood Duck said:
I have not loaded mine with firewood much higher than the side bars. 1500# is about half a cord, give or take, and 5 ft x 8 ft x 2 ft deep is more than half a cord of volume, so I guess I should stop loading at 2 ft deep. Glad to see that these trailers can take a little more than their rated capacity.

Yep, a true half cord of Locust or White Oak will actually be an overload by a fair amount for a 1500# trailer, while a 3500# will handle it just fine. That is the point of my previous post "Know your trailer". Keep it safe.

That is a monster.
One thing i notice pics NEVER do a tree justice.

I got the trailer at lowes for like 400 bucks on sale. Its a flimsy cheap POS but it works for now. When in doubt i take 2 trips.

X

Man, I just drool when I see scores like these 2 pics show!!! For now I'm settling on standing dead maple, probably silver too :(

I would like to have some of that big wood to fill up the truck and horse trailer!

ProjectX said:
That is a monster.
One thing i notice pics NEVER do a tree justice.

Those rounds were about 46" at DBH. I barely had any overlap from cutting both sides with a 25" bar. The first two rounds at the base wouldn't make it with the 25" on both sides. I had to cut, then face cut, then cut the other side, then face cut, then finished the little block in the middle.

Attachments

• face cut.jpg
    face cut.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 316
that is big.

I done 3 of these now Red Oak.....NO MORE!

Attachments

• shorts.jpg
    shorts.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 184
smokinjay said:

You would cut that BL up in a heartbeat.

Seems the big ones love to grow beside a creek.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:

You would cut that BL up in a heartbeat.

Seems the big ones love to grow beside a creek.

Yep, I am into another farmers pasture, its full of black locust, mulberry, hedge and One Monster red oak... (Another small river)

Nice load of BL. That BL is heavy! 1/2 cord of BL is 2000 lbs plus! Be careful with the trailer. I know that stuff is heavy. I have cut, hauled, split and stacked about 5 cords of it this year. Burns long and hot, but is a little slow to light up. Smaller splits help a lot to get things going.

Merry Christmas! Firewood is a gift that keeps on giving (like the jelly of the month club in the Christmas Vacation movie). The temperature was 54 degrees on my way home from work today. The wood pile will last longer but I'd rather have snow (sorry for those who farm or work outside for a living).

Status
Not open for further replies.