locust split and stacked by 1030am

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
got at it early wanted to beat the heat...about 3/4 a cord

2011-09-06190832.gif

2011-09-10103713.gif

2011-09-10103658.gif

Im jealous of all you guys with locust, seems to grow everywhere but where I live. My brother in law cuts firewood for a living and he said he hardly ever comes across any.

weatherguy said:
Im jealous of all you guys with locust, seems to grow everywhere but where I live. My brother in law cuts firewood for a living and he said he hardly ever comes across any.

I'll tell ya what - weatherguy ---- You can have my black locust - if i can have your Blaze King! :p

steeltowninwv said:
got at it early wanted to beat the heat...about 3/4 a cord
Nice stack o' BL! I assume this is for next year?

weatherguy said:
Don't be too jealous. Someone here said it smells like pee when burned. :lol: I've got about 1/2 cord to try out this season. I'll toss a few splits on top of a load when I need the long burn.
I found out that one of my cutting spots has a grove of BL, but looking from a couple hundred yards away, they look pretty healthy. I did see one tree down, though...hope it's a BL.

yeah i was gonna burn it this year...was a dead standing tree...thought it was dryer than it is... but im gonna let it season and burn next year...never noticed a odor when burning it..its the holy grail of fire wood to me

Even after I split the locust from one end to the other, I have to manually pull the splits apart due to its stringy nature. I'll take oak or poplar or hickory or maple...but if locust is all there is, I'll take it.

Edit: I just realized that I meant elm, not locust. I'm an idiot. (I can say that, you can't).

DanCorcoran said:
Even after I split the locust from one end to the other, I have to manually pull the splits apart due to its stringy nature. I'll take oak or poplar or hickory or maple...but if locust is all there is, I'll take it.

The locust around here splits long clean and fairly easy. Aside from resistance to rot, thats why it's used alot for split rail fences.

steeltowninwv said:
yeah i was gonna burn it this year...was a dead standing tree...thought it was dryer than it is..
A couple days ago I up cut a few branches that were lying around beneath some BL at the in-laws. The ones with the bark off or having loose, faded bark just looked more dried out when I cut them...hardly any yellow look on the sawed ends. Those turned out to be the driest, 18% or below. The rest is going in the "later" pile. It'll be interesting to see how much it can dry this Fall and Winter if I split it kind of small...

Woody Stover said:
steeltowninwv said:
yeah i was gonna burn it this year...was a dead standing tree...thought it was dryer than it is..
A couple days ago I up cut a few branches that were lying around beneath some BL at the in-laws. The ones with the bark off or having loose, faded bark just looked more dried out when I cut them...hardly any yellow look on the sawed ends. Those turned out to be the driest, 18% or below. The rest is going in the "later" pile. It'll be interesting to see how much it can dry this Fall and Winter if I split it kind of small...

How thick were the branches? I picked up a few cords of oak in a scrounge and I separated all the branches 3-4 inches round, I was wondering if they might be dry enough this year, I had over a cord a 3-4 inch rounds.

weatherguy said:
How thick were the branches? I picked up a few cords of oak in a scrounge and I separated all the branches 3-4 inches round, I was wondering if they might be dry enough this year, I had over a cord a 3-4 inch rounds.
Oooo, I don't know if that Oak will be dry unless the tree was standing dead for a good while and the bark had fallen off. How dry did it look when you cut it to length? I've split open some small Oak branches, cut green, that had sat for a year...still soggy inside, not burnable. No matter what size it is, an Oak round is going to dry very slowly. If you don't have a moisture meter, you may be able to gauge dryness using the "heft test." Do they seem pretty light?

Those bad boys will be great for overnight burns in the dead of winter

wood-fan-atic said:
weatherguy said:

I'll tell ya what - weatherguy ---- You can have my black locust - if i can have your Blaze King! :p

Find a tree with some seeds and start your own locust patch??? Well it was a thought. :roll:

Exactly what I had in mind when I was splitting...big splits for January overnight burns

Nice pile of wood. Why the electric fence?

Keep my dogs in

Status
Not open for further replies.