locust what does it look like

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
just picked up a load of locust but im not sure if thats what it really is. it has a real thick bark. can u guys send me a pick of it bucked

We have a lot of locust in NJ-I haven't found any yet this year though-this is from a few years back:

wood3.jpg

Pretty much just like this.

Oh, wait...you meant the tree. Sorry, nevermind. :red:

Attachments

• locust.jpg
    locust.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 772
tumm21 said:
yep what i have is locust does it burn good

Pack your firebox full of good dry locust and you'll get hot all night burns or darn close. It seems to season quicker than oak but burns just as well if not better. I love the stuff.

Should be very thick bark with greenish-yellow wood. If you just cut it should be heavy for its size.

I have harvested about 5 cords of Black Locust this year. Good stuff. Can be a little hard to get started, but seasons in a year and burns hot and long.
DSC06759.jpg

DSC06785.jpg

Steve that's some awesome looking firewood! Sounds like you've got some great firewood connections to be getting so much Locust!

Ray

raybonz said:
Steve that's some awesome looking firewood! Sounds like you've got some great firewood connections to be getting so much Locust!

Ray

It's like the stuff grows on trees or something!

Yes, all of the comments and pictures are correct........for Black Locust. Honey Locust ain't no slouch either ;-P Some even rate it higher than Black Locust.

Looks like what I just scrounged....only half a P/U truck load....but hey, it was free (doin' my happy dance)

Beer Belly said:
Looks like what I just scrounged....only half a P/U truck load....but hey, it was free (doin' my happy dance)

Im tickled pink with my small pickup load I scored this week, Id love to have a few cords but it really doesnt grow around here, it seems to be closer to water and sandy soils.

weatherguy said:
Beer Belly said:

Im tickled pink with my small pickup load I scored this week, Id love to have a few cords but it really doesnt grow around here, it seems to be closer to water and sandy soils.

The damn things are everywhere down here but the ones I see are all still standing unfortunately! :lol: They're considered an invasive species though so I was going to contact a friend who is a member of the NJ invasive species strike team about seeing if they ever selectively log them in some of the preserved forest land around here.

Anyone in Morris County (Morristown NJ) I can give you 3 specific spots where BL is bucked and sitting on the road side for free - just PM me. It's kind of far for me to come back down and mess with. And - I also don't feel it holds a candle to oak. HA - look at me - I'm a wood snob!

I would love to trade a cord of my seasoned Black Locust for a cord of seasoned Red Oak.
I am a wood snob too and I am not ashamed of it. I can only be one because I worked my ass of getting so far ahead.

I cut and split a couple of Black Locust that had been standing dead for about a year to where to bark falls off easily. My question is how long after it's split would it take to consider it seasoned? I have about a cord that has been stacked for a year. Just wondering how much of a start do you get on a BL that has been a leaner for about a year. Thanks.

Attachments

• Black Locust.jpg
    Black Locust.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 526
  • Black Locust 2.jpg
    Black Locust 2.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 528
Flatbedford said:
I would love to trade a cord of my seasoned Black Locust for a cord of seasoned Red Oak.
I am a wood snob too and I am not ashamed of it. I can only be one because I worked my ass of getting so far ahead.

Meet you half way, Ill load up my truck with red oak since and you load yours up with BL.

woodland guy said:
I cut and split a couple of Black Locust that had been standing dead for about a year to where to bark falls off easily. My question is how long after it's split would it take to consider it seasoned? I have about a cord that has been stacked for a year. Just wondering how much of a start do you get on a BL that has been a leaner for about a year. Thanks.

I would be very surprised if it isn't ready to go now. Welcome to the forum.

As far as burning locust, it starts just fine on a decent coal bed with a little pine under the load.

Attachments

• typical load.jpg
    typical load.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 462
Thanks for your reply. It's still a little light-colored but maybe being a leaner and up off the ground for so long helps it dry a little.

Attachments

• IMG00237-20110324-1751 2.jpg
    IMG00237-20110324-1751 2.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 327
Split it now and it will be probably be burnable by February if it is in the sun and wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.