Locust Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Optimized-locustwood.jpg Free wood on Craigslist. I'm not familiar with locust. Ad is still up, hopefully a lot of people around here are not familiar either. no response yet, keeping my fingers crossed. so, does this look like locust wood?
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/zip/3413976424.html
Recently cut 50 yr old Locust tree. Was approximately 40 feet. 18in un-split logs.

I don't know.... From my 3"screen on my phone it looks like a maple. Any free wood is good wood...(except maybe willow)

Edit: scrolling the picture in though, I see the gnarly wrapping bark strands, that may very well be black locust after all!

From the pic's doesn't look like the locust we have on the east coast. There are at least two types. Here's a pic of a locust from my back yard (the one on the right). Locust around here has thick dark deeply furrowed bark that is light brown/rust colored in cross section. The wood itself is yellowish. Could still be a nice score regardless of what it turns out to be.locust.jpg

It appears to be Honey Locust, cant really blow up the pic. But the bark has the appearance and the wood has the same color pattern.

Reactions: ScotO
Regardless it's cut and right there by the curb what are you waiting on.

I only have BL here and its not that .

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Regardless it's cut and right there by the curb what are you waiting on.

I only have BL here and its not that .
LOL, agreed! Waiting for a reply with an address. It doesn't look like pine, oak, eucalyptus, mulberry, sycamore, red maple that are common in these parts.

That very well could be honey locust, not sure if it grows out in CA but there is lots of it here. I have lots of it in the stacks and it's great stuff. Either way, like Cptoneleg said, it's an easy haul to your truck, go get it......

Reactions: Lakeside
That very well could be honey locust, not sure if it grows out in CA but there is lots of it here. I have lots of it in the stacks and it's great stuff. Either way, like Cptoneleg said, it's an easy haul to your truck, go get it......
Actually, yes it does grow in CA. According to google, it was transplanted here to the central valley in the 19th century during the gold rush for use as shoring timber in the gold mines. Same with eucalyptus, brought in for fast growing rail road ties. Researching the leaf ID, my neighbor has two in the front yard. Still waiting for a response, and a location.

If its locust, it's definitely honey locust. The flaky bark is the key. Its a bit like some cherry bark but the wet wood is more of a yellow color. Black locust has much thicker bark in comparison with darker wood.

That looks clearly like a Honey Locust of the thornless type that people plant for shade trees. I have seen Honey Locust in California, planted of course. Most of the ornamental trees you see planted on the east coast are at least occasionally planted in California. They grow just fine because almost all yards in California are regularly irrigated. One problem, at least in Southern California, is that they don't get good fall color. I assume this is due to lack of cold.

Looks like good locust. Do not wait! Get asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.