Log 34 ID. Is this another soft maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
The bark is really dark but the inside looks like a large heart based on the earlier maples in this load. On the end picture, the bark has a redish tone to it.

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• DSCN3256rl34.jpg
    DSCN3256rl34.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN3257rl34.jpg
    DSCN3257rl34.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN3258rl34.jpg
    DSCN3258rl34.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN3259rl34.jpg
    DSCN3259rl34.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN3260rl34.jpg
    DSCN3260rl34.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN3261rl34.jpg
    DSCN3261rl34.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN3262rl34.jpg
    DSCN3262rl34.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 156
Look at those friggin rounds in the background with the woods to boot! Jealous...

Where did you get those bolt on forks? Those look mighty handy :)

Hard Maple. Note in your photo of the three rounds from top view, where bark is chipped off how brown that layer of bark is. This is where you would tend to see a tinge of red if it where Soft Maple.

Hard Maple. Note in your photo of the three rounds from top view, where bark is chipped off how brown that layer of bark is. This is where you would tend to see a tinge of red if it where Soft Maple.

Nrford, Keep these tips coming about IDing logs. I'm loving it. Now if I can just remember them when I'm out in the woods without a computer :confused: Thanks.

Good gosh wood would be easy with some of the equipment you guys have i'm jealous also.;lol

Where did you get those bolt on forks? Those look mighty handy :)

Screw clamp on. Got them at Northern Tool. They are handy for sure ;)

Have to be REAL carefull with them, easy to bend the bucket if you aren't carefull (don't ask how I know!)

It's my second bucket...I already know :(

Ah... Good to know. So it's easier to scrape some of the bark on the surface as opposed to looking at the end of the round. Thanks nrford!

Bruce

HOLY SMOKES DUDE.
I'm super jealous of that source of wood. Nice long straight stuff.
I don't really care what it is,
What ever it is it is definitely burnable.

HOLY SMOKES DUDE.
I'm super jealous of that source of wood. Nice long straight stuff.
I don't really care what it is,
What ever it is it is definitely burnable.

I know, it's a pimo load for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.