LOG BEAM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FORCE FAB

Oct 30, 2008
SOUTH JERSEY
Im in the process of adding on to my house...When i blow out the backwall i have to add a beam thats about 7 feet long that will be partially exposed..When this is all said and done(and the inspector leaves)I want to take a nice straight log and notch it length wise to "cap" the beam...What kind of wood would be good for this?

Whatever tree is closest.

How are you planning on lifting said log and do you think the inspector should know about the 500 lbs of additional load that you are adding to the beam?

Matt

I think pine would work well. It is relatively light and will be a lot easier to notch than harder woods. Strength doesn't matter since it is decorative.

If all you are doing is trimming out the beam, the inspector isn't going to care anyway. Figure out how the look you want and have your architect add it to the print. If it adds significant weight, beef up the beam you intend to trim out. In cases where I don't have a print, my lumber yard will do the loading calculations on an LVL beam if you give them a few days.

Strip the bark and dry the hell out of it first. We all know that wood shrinks as it dries- you don't want dimensions shifting after it's installed or you'll have that room from Willy Wonka that's deceptively small at one end :)

EatenByLimestone said:
Whatever tree is closest.

How are you planning on lifting said log and do you think the inspector should know about the 500 lbs of additional load that you are adding to the beam?

Matt

+1 mill the wood down and box it in if you need to lighten the load!

I have a ugly 12' beam across my living room. From time to time I have thought about finding a log and slabing three sides off of it so it would fit around the beam. I know I would leave me with two joints running the length of the beam. But it sure would look better than what I have now.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
I have a ugly 12' beam across my living room. From time to time I have thought about finding a log and slabing three sides off of it so it would fit around the beam. I know I would leave me with two joints running the length of the beam. But it sure would look better than what I have now.

Billy

Nothing wrong with seems...If its the right wood!

Thanks Jay

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Thanks Jay

Billy

Milling a butcher block counter top thursday seems will have to be DEAD ON... lol wish me luck!

You got it Brother!!!!!!

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.