Log ends.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldmainer

Aug 19, 2009
southern maine
Hi Guys...this fall I'm going to be dropping some large white pine and red oak. The trunks I'm going to be cutting to log length and run them through my Granberg to make some planks and boards. I plan to burn the rest if it's of the right size. I may not get to the cutting part until next spring. How can I treat the log ends to keep them from checking? Franklin

Do a search for "log end sealer" and you will find a number of suppliers/products. Some simply have used latex paint. I haven't used that and can't give any info on its comparative protection vs products marketed for end sealing. I have used Anchorseal with great success on pine and other woods. It should be applied as soon as possible after the logs are cut. Waiting to mill the logs should not be too much of a problem, but pine especially is subject to beetle attack once its felled. Best is to fell it late fall when the weather is cold and over-wintering should not be a problem, then mill it as soon as feasible after winter and before bugs start moving again.

I'm wondering if it is "typical" to use the very ends of the wood, as part of the planks. Wouldn't you want to trim off the ends (say about 3 inches in, or so)?????

I'm making the assumption here that the trees are at least longer than 8 feet.

-Soupy1957

They sell log seal at baileys, I use left over paint. Couple coats! ;-)

Anchorseal,around $20/gallon is one well known brand.Water-based liquid wax emulsion product,lets wood 'breathe',yet keeps checking/cracking to a bare minimum. Craft Supplies (Wood Turner's supply retailer in Provo Utah) still carries it I believe.Several other brand names out there,from lots of suppliers.Apply with paint brush (my preferred method),old clean rag,roller or spray.Just keep the can or jug from freezing & the shelf life is many years.

Oldmainer said:
Hi Guys...this fall I'm going to be dropping some large white pine and red oak. The trunks I'm going to be cutting to log length and run them through my Granberg to make some planks and boards. I plan to burn the rest if it's of the right size. I may not get to the cutting part until next spring. How can I treat the log ends to keep them from checking? Franklin

Seal the ends with paraffin wax

I just got a gallon of anchorseal, used it on some hemlock siding, went on easy. Wish I had got some earlier, as the leftover exterior stain (the opaque paint-like kind) I used before did not work well. My problem is my can is certainly going to freeze if left here over winter in MI; what exactly will that do to it? Take the wax out of emulsion? I guess I'll have to remember to leave it at my parents' house.

Status
Not open for further replies.