Log ID by bark only

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
logs cut a year plus ago, and left- for me? What do you see?

Attachments

• tree33.jpg
    tree33.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 339
Can you give us some end grain? The problem with guessing bark is it changes with the age of the tree. The twigs and buds will be the same year after year. From your picture I can tell you it is laying in a pile of oak leaves, but I couldn't tell you what kind of oak because some of them look like the red family, some look white and I don't have a good shot of any of them.

That looks walnut-ish to me...but couldn't say for sure.

+2 on walnut with those pic's!

If it is Black Walnut then it is a shame that it has been cut to log length. The logs are a good 18 inch diameter. I am thinking some kind of Hickory though. There is a fair amount growing in the area. Whatever it may be, it's comin' home with me soon. Will update with split pics soon! Snowing/Raining here today in NJ. Been burnin' 24/7 again for a few days.

mywaynow said:
If it is Black Walnut then it is a shame that it has been cut to log length. The logs are a good 18 inch diameter. I am thinking some kind of Hickory though. There is a fair amount growing in the area. Whatever it may be, it's comin' home with me soon. Will update with split pics soon! Snowing/Raining here today in NJ. Been burnin' 24/7 again for a few days.

Pic of the end of the wood?

Didn't bother as the stuff has been on the ground for over a year and is totally grayed out.

Black Walnut is extremely abundant in our area......quite a bit of it gets cut up for firewood.

Hmmm...not Ash, maybe walnut. Resplit a chunk and give us a pic of the fresh split and end grain. That should help with the ID.

Update on the log, which is now in my pile, along with all it's friends! Think this morning's scrounge was the best to date. See pics

Attachments

• tree37.jpg
    tree37.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 185
  • tree36.jpg
    tree36.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 195
It is not American Walnut, or Black Walnut. Which is it? The entire wood is gray in color. I have another pic that shows the pile of splits attached. Only the small diameter limbs have pale wood color on the edges.

Attachments

• tree35.jpg
    tree35.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 186
I was hoping I had come upon some kind of Hickory, but Walunt works great for me! There was a bit of Osage mixed in the pile too. First time I have gotten any of that.

mywaynow said:
I was hoping I had come upon some kind of Hickory, but Walunt works great for me! There was a bit of Osage mixed in the pile too. First time I have gotten any of that.

Osage is primo stove chow.

Got one more, so here it is, rather than start another thread. Came from the same lot. More Walnut, American type?

Attachments

• tree38.jpg
    tree38.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 188
Ash, no ifs,ands,or buts!

Status
Not open for further replies.