Log Jack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Watch the very end -- where he drops the round off and narrowly escapes mushing his foot.

Sting said:
Watch the very end -- where he drops the round off and narrowly escapes mushing his foot.

Thats why they make steel-toe boots isn't it? :)

BTW, WTF is up with that music? It sounds like something that would be played at a funeral or some other "saddening event". Maybe it's sad that he spent $700 on a little bit of steel with some wheels on it?

For $700 it's not a hard decision. For $200 it's a maybe. For under $150 I'd probably have one. I think you'd be fine pulling around a big log like in the video, but if you are skidding it like I think he does in the beginning, then you probably are gonna shorten your mower's life.

meh...keep'en it simple with my knee-pads and spud bar.

It just seems like I could slap something together a lot cheaper than that and have it do what I want it to.

oldspark said:
It just seems like I could slap something together a lot cheaper than that and have it do what I want it to.

That was my thought when I posted the link.

Shari

Looks like a great deal! For the guy selling them!

A tip for cutting elevated logs. If you cut with the tip of the bar higher than the body of the saw the rounds tend to fall away from you. If the tip of the saw is lower than than the body of the saw like he is doing in the video the round wants to come at you.

Billy

oldspark said:
I was thinking this as well. Maybe a winter project!

’bert said:
and you will get to find out just how much the transaxel drive will cost you to replace in your lawn tractor!
Perhaps in a lawn mower but a good heavy duty garden tractor like the older cubs and deeres wouldnt have an issue. I routinely haul 2,000-2,500# on my old cub on a 30+ yr old clutch. It does start slipping beyond 2500# in second gear and/or if your trying to go up hill, but I'm going to soon remedy that with some clutch upgrades.

If you're not careful with the tip of the bar, you could easily catch the tire.

Seems like it would be alot easier adn cheaper to just cut 80% of the way through the log at buck-length spaces, roll it 180 degrees and then pull hte saw up through the rest of the way and then move the rounds in your cart.

mayhem said:
Seems like it would be alot easier adn cheaper to just cut 80% of the way through the log at buck-length spaces, roll it 180 degrees and then pull hte saw up through the rest of the way and then move the rounds in your cart.

Bingo!!
It seems pretty useless to me also!! By the time it takes you to strap, crank, haul, and release you could have bucked the whole log and loaded the cart!
$700 to add more steps to your wood handling!

mayhem said:

+1 . . . Simpler and a heckuva lot cheaper.

There are lots of people that like to use a logging arch and this really is a logging arch with an added feature that you can choose to use.

I prefer to buck up the log right where it falls rather than drag it through the dirt. Of course that means more lifting and handling. With the added feature, one could carry a short log sideways so that it isn't dragged through the dirt and then buck it up at the landing.

Then there are also the logging arches with the long drawbar than can carry a shorter log lengthways entirely off the ground.

mayhem said:

Well thats all I have ever done personally, but its always a pita to do it were it lays... always tons of briars and other crap in the way making it really hard to even stand next to the log. Would be nice to be able to get it off the ground a bit / move it. I know that last locust I cut last weekend killed my back reaching all the way over. I got the chain as sharp as I could by hand but I think I need a guide - it took a lot of force and back straining to get the saw through that stuff.

Maybe when I get older and feebler? More feeble. whatever.
I could have that log bucked, split, in the trailer, and stacked before he even gets it to his "staging" area. And, I'm not really the Paul Bunyan type.
What a timesaver, yeah right! :roll:

PapaDave said:
Maybe when I get older and feebler? More feeble. whatever.
I could have that log bucked, split, in the trailer, and stacked before he even gets it to his "staging" area. And, I'm not really the Paul Bunyan type.
What a timesaver, yeah right! :roll:

Well that seems to be the recurring theme. But what if you can't get your trailer to the tree? What if your going to be hauling out the rounds a few at a time in a little wagon behind a garden tractor anyhow? Sorry, I just always have a habit of playing devils advocate...

Status
Not open for further replies.