Log Size for Avalon Pendleton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joetal17

Jan 28, 2009
CT
So I should have my Avalon in by the end of next week.
If the max log size is 17 inches should I cut my wood to 17 inches or a little shorter??

joetal17 said:
If the max log size is 17 inches should I cut my wood to 17 inches or a little shorter??

Are you talking n/s or e/w?

zap

Our stove says 16" maximum but we've put in 18" and maybe a 19" or two. But when cutting I aim for 16".

joetal17 said:

Removed post.

zap

Sounds like 15/16" should do it. This will be my first season so I'm sure there will be some trial and error. Thanks.

You'll need them shorter when you load up.
md

Lighting up, curious to know how you go about building the fire in your Pendleton and your luck with burn times, thanks.

My stove takes pretty long wood -- up to 22 inches -- but I've found life is much easier if I cut the wood to 18-20 inches . . . easier in terms of being able to easily load the wood into the stove without worrying that some coals or ash build up will mean the wood cut exactly to length will not fit.

joetal17 said:
Lighting up, curious to know how you go about building the fire in your Pendleton and your luck with burn times, thanks.

Joetal,

My pendelton is a insert model in a zc not the free standing model (not sure which one your getting). I get around 7-8 hour burn time with good seasoned wood. When I pack it in I even had overnight burns with enough coals to restart it. I load E-W really have no choice because the box is so small and I don't have small pieces for N-S so I lose some burn time because of that.

I don't cut my wood but if I did with this stove I would cut at 16 inches E-W and 6-7 inches for N-S to top the load off. Thinking on cutting some 6-7 inches just to see the longer burn time.

I don't know what your heating but I can tell you...you will love that stove...I have saved on NG around $100 a month and we are warmer...way warmer with this stove. I have around a 2200 sq ft house with high ceilings so the heat warms upstairs too.

It's been to warm here to burn this stove longer so far this year. but I know around here winter comes every year and it comes cold and fast...We call these days "Bonus Days".

Good luck with your new stove and keep reading on...good stuff here.
md

Status
Not open for further replies.