Log split size question for insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jttoad1968

Oct 31, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Hi. We are new to burning other than a fire pit. We have a new Regency i3100L insert. I understand log length is limited to side to side or front to back depth but in regards to the width of the splits, how wide should they be? If I’m starting from cold I have been doing small widths. For adding on top of coals, what should I be doing? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a big stove, thick, dry splits will provide a longer burn. We burn 4-6" thick typically, but have burned some 8inchers at times.

Reactions: macattack_ga
In a big stove, thick, dry splits will provide a longer burn. We burn 4-6" thick typically, but have burned some 8inchers at times.

Ok thank you. Would my insert be considered big? It is supposed to heat up to 3000 sq ft so assuming so but I am very new to this. Still working on getting the heat up the stairs better.

Yes, it is a 3 cu ft stove.

I want to hear how good you get, when you figure out this stove :)

And, think ceiling fan ;)

I want to hear how good you get, when you figure out this stove :)

And, think ceiling fan ;)

I will report back, yes.

I do have a ceiling fan in our kitchen in reverse on low. The kitchen is right next to the room with the insert and has a high ceiling (it is the only room with a high ceiling). I also have one in the dining room in reverse as well which is attached to the kitchen and the stairs to upstairs are on the far side of the dining room. I put a small fan on low at top of stairs pointing down as I read that can help. That one has only been running for around 45 min so not sure yet if helping. There are ceiling fans two of the bedrooms up there. Should I do the same and turn them on low reverse? Second floor only has 7 foot ceilings. Thanks!

We've got a similar stove, the i2400, and it's a good stove and will burn whatever we can fit in it. Try to let the coals die down before throwing more wood in or else you'll be digging out ashes a lot more often.

I sometimes run the HVAC fan to circulate warmer air to the rest of the house.

Ok great thanks. I am working on trying to get the heat up now with fans. It is roasting in the room with the insert and nice the rest of first floor mostly and comfortable but still a little more chilly than want upstairs
Try loading the stove N/S. You will be able to load it fuller and the air flow to the bottom of the fire will be stronger. Just be sure to start turning dow the air in increments as soon as the fire starts burning well.