Log splitter - which way to go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I found a 4 year old TSC log splitter 27 ton w/the Honda motor for $900. He added a trailer wheel to the front. Nice condition except for some paint peeling from the main frame between the wheels. Stored inside.
Or should I wait for TSC to put the 22 ton splitter on sale for 1000?
What would you guys do?

LMAO!!! i have the same issue.... 22 ton from home depot ....1199..(swisher) or tsc 1099 or 27 ton troybilt less than a year old for 1000-1100 BUT he has done about 10 cords with it...... which one would you choose???
to answer your question i would go with the newer one!

Answer: Go new . . . that way you'll know right from the get-go how hard it was run, if the oil was changed regularly, if it was stored outside, etc.

we were in the same boat.
We finally decided to go with the troy-bilt from Lowe's. We purchased a HD 20% off coupon on ebay for $5 and used that. The splitter was $1399 minus the discount plus the sales tax ended up being $1187.

Now to put it to some use.

That's not a big enough delta if you get a warantee with new. The warantee is worth at least 20% of the purchase price.
IMO, good used equipment needs to be 50% of new to be worth it. Unless its pristine and only a year old.

Hi -

I was in the same boat. I went with the Lowes deal on the 27 ton. It does a nice job on the accumulated crotchs, elm, etc... These are not very complicated machines. The 27 ton unit is a little heavy to move around by hand but I hook it on the lawn tractor.

I got a 10% off coupon at the post office "Move kit".

Enjoy,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Hi -

I was in the same boat. I went with the Lowes deal on the 27 ton. It does a nice job on the accumulated crotchs, elm, etc... These are not very complicated machines. The 27 ton unit is a little heavy to move around by hand but I hook it on the lawn tractor.

I got a 10% off coupon at the post office "Move kit".

Enjoy,
Mike

you got it from the post office?

bsa0021 said:
I found a 4 year old TSC log splitter 27 ton w/the Honda motor for $900. He added a trailer wheel to the front. Nice condition except for some paint peeling from the main frame between the wheels. Stored inside.
Or should I wait for TSC to put the 22 ton splitter on sale for 1000?
What would you guys do?

what did you do?

I waited too long for someone to talk me into buying it :) ......and it sold!

I was at TSC yesterday and saw those splitters for 1099...pretty sure if you open an account it's good for 10% off. One thing about TSC splitters is the on line service and support. They trouble shoot problems over the phone and send you a new part right off even if you're a couple months past warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.