Logs are salt free excellent!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
One of the places i get wood form is at the bc costal log sort, some of the logs are trucked in from the mountains, other times they come from log booms pulled by tug boat.

The logs are fresh cut hemlock and when i burn them, i get no blue or yellow flames which i would indicate thers no salt in the logs?

You posted the same question last year about salt in logs. Did you forget the answers? Salt eats metal. If you can find a wood source without salt then I suggest you use it. Why spend a good amount for your new PE and then use slatwater logs?

Not busting your chops here but you know what is right and salt water stored logs are not right to burn. Better in your stove than mine

i wouldn't be too concerned, however a very high salt content will cause ceramic glass to become very cloudy, which is not reversable.

Let's see. Salt corrodes metal. Corrosion is a chemical reaction. Chemical reactions occur faster in the presence of heat. Wood stoves produce a lot of heat.

Did I get any of that right?

And will PE cover the damage under warranty? Absolutely not! I can assure you from conversations with one of them that the manufacturers are very cognizant of this matter. It's not worth it - don't do it!

I talked to the guys at the log sort and all the logs they do now are salt free they come terrace which is inland trucked, than sorted cut and then dumped in the ocean then the log ship takes them to japan.

Get this a 20 foot log is worth twice as much as a 29 foot log casue they only do it in lengths 20 30 40 ect.

So those cut off pieces are what we get for free, they are very large logs 3 feet round.

Costal bc all softwood mountain hemlock burns good, i will get about 5 cords from there plus i have 14 in the back yard no were to put it willy.

But i love cutting and splitting it.

DonCT said:
What about pepper in logs???

Me, I like mine spicey :)

so this wood is well seasoned?

Status
Not open for further replies.