Long Live Hickory!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmcramer

Feb 19, 2007
www.cramersoftware.com
She was a majestic tree 18 months ago, and I hated to cut her down, but now she's warming my house and home. I loaded up my VC cat-Encore last evening with spilts from this hickory tree, and this morning - 11 hours later ! - I had a bed of glowing coals. I threw some smaller splits on top....and a new fire starter right up.

The Hickory Tree is dead.

Long Live Hickory.

I love hickory, kinda like burnable concrete :lol: Oak is my favorite because of the way it splits, but hickory is a close second!

Hope you have more hickory in your area. Great firewood.

We have several young hickory on our place but we are trying to protect them and even cut trees near them so they get sunlight. Seems that most of the hickory that used to be in this area has all been cut down, but most of them were either in cow pastures, which are no longer needed or wanted or else along side of the roads and the county has cut them all down. Same with walnut.

I love hickory too. We have hickory cabinets and floors in the kitchen and great room. It's wood with wonderful
character and has stood up well over the last 12 years.

I'm blessed to own a hardwood forest full of shagbark hickory, oak and cherry. I hate it when a hickory dies, but
it's such a pleasure to split and burn that it's bittersweet when I find a dead one on the property. There used to
be a lot more oak/hickory forests in southern Wisconsin, but they have gradually been replaced with maple.

I am into my stack of 19 month old Pignut and shagbark. Aint nothing like it......getting bursts of secondary burn temps of an easy 600.
Only problem about hickory is the spark fest when racking the coals or opening the door.

WoodButcher

When I get a hold of hickory i save it for the smoker!

Did someone say hickory? I got this wood from my neighbor from a tree that blew down and I had to cut, split,trailer, and stack it. Now I am burning it and the temps are supposed to drop a ton in the next 2 days. I split small and stacked it where the wind and sun would get to it in Aug. Now its dry and burning just fine...

Shipper

Attachments

• Hickory drying.jpg
    Hickory drying.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 405
I have burned a bit of hickory. Never needed to split it as those broken ax and maul handles are only a couple inches across. Burns real pretty, but a bit expensive at around $50 an armload.

Actually, I have acres and acres of several varieties of hickory. Mine never die, though. I only cut them when they get broken by ice, or when I thin a stand to promote growth.

Mark

jotul8e2 said:
I have burned a bit of hickory. Never needed to split it as those broken ax and maul handles are only a couple inches across. Burns real pretty, but a bit expensive at around $50 an armload.
Mark

I knew I should have cut off the shattered sledge hammer handle before I threw it out! I didn't bother saving the head 'cuz I'm going with fiberglass for the next sledge hammer. But hickory sure makes nice handles for tools that I don't mess up as much.

Peace,
- Sequoia

We have a fair amount of Bitternut Hickory in our woods in Southern Minnesota. Some kind of borer is killing them off and what is lousy is it will rot quite quickly standing up. It is very good wood, with smooth bark, stinks a little when it is fresh cut, fine after it dries and splits like butter.

It is sort of opposite of my favorite wood, red elm which lasts for many years without rotting, but splits like...well, elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.