Long run of metalbestos above roof Q

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meathead

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Central Maine
I am going to be installing a class A chimney and the best spot for the stove in the house is of course one of the worst spots for a chimney up through the roof or outside the house. The location would require ~ 17' of chimney, 15' of which would be above the roof. I have spoken with the local dealer I want to make my purchase with and he says the product he sells (metalbestos ultra temp) will have no problem going up that high with the appropriate roof brace kits, but I can't see a bracket in the catalog he provided that would brace higher than ~6' up the chimney. Does anyone have experience with runs this high or higher above roof level? Can metalbestos be safely installed up to ~15' plus above roof level? Thanks for your help!

Wow, that would look like quite the rocket coming out of the roof. It might be possible to brace and guywire, not sure, but personally I would first try very hard to come up with an alternative plan.

Yeah I've come to terms with how it will look at this point and it doesn't bother me. It is a prime spot for heat circulation and if it can be done safely that's where I want it - but I can't find any factory bracket that would support a run over 10'.

Status
Not open for further replies.