Long-term review on Dolmar 5100S upgrade from consumer saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrodsky

Jan 19, 2006
Millbrook, NY
Been quite a while since I've posted, but having been out working on next year's wood supply for my house heat and small scale maple boiling operation, and spent some time at a recent "chainsaw party" after the NY area storms. So I thought I should comment on the Dolmar 5100S I bought a couple years back, particularly for any other site visitors that are considering a similar upgrade.

Overall, simply awesome... well worth the $400 spent compared to the Homelite Ranger that I now use only if I do something stupid to bind the Dolmar. Having fixed a bunch of poorly maintained homeowner saws at my friend's storm cleanup party, it was a pleasure to have the Dolmar. Starts easily any time of year, and runs like a champ. It stays so much cleaner than the homelite saw which had a perpetual oil/chip mess, the vibration isolation is great, the chain tensioner is rock solid... overall just a pleasure to use in comparison.

The Homelite still works and I think I did my first three seasons of wood cutting with it (about 3-4 cords/year) but the job is much faster and pleasant with the Dolmar. It was a purchase I put off for a while, but am glad I did it and couldn't be happier with the saw. Purchased at Ketcham Power in Fishkill, NY - nice guys and they've done a great job on chains I've brought in after I've butchered them beyond my capability to bring back in spec!

Anyway, figured I'd just throw in my $0.02 as this was always a frequent thread on here and I finally feel like I have enough experience with this saw to offer a review.

-Colin

ps - great quote at my friend's storm cleanup party - "what do you mean I'm supposed to mix oil with the gas?" Amazingly, they had been using their saw occasionally for years, never adding two-cycle oil. It was amazing nobody injured themselves - not a single other person with any type of PPE... if nothing else, I scared a few into thinking about buying some.

Good to hear! I also bought a 5100S last spring. I've cut about 12 chords with it so far and couldn't be happier. Great little saw!

That's great glad your happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at the stihl shop the other day and over heard a tech asking a customer "so do you think he will keep using used motor oil instead of mix)???? I looked he was sanding on a piston.. All I could do was laugh..

Status
Not open for further replies.