Look what followed me home!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepdog000

Dec 7, 2010
Midwest
Yesterday, spent the the first of four days with a buddy collecting wood. A friend of mine wanted his property thinned out a bit, so he got happy with a can of orange spray paint, marking the trees OK to take. This was load #1 of many I'm sure. It filled an 16' car hauler with 3' sides just overflowing. My buddies truck is pretty powerful and was sagging under this load. Best part is, this load consisted of 5% dead dry ash, 25% black cherry, & 70% white oak. It will all be split & stacked in the next few weeks. I'm no expert, but my buddy who's been wood burning forever anticipated about 7-10 cord out of this trip. The stacked pile of rounds on the far right is Black Locust I got a couple of weeks ago.

The second pic is us enjoying a fire last night. :cheese:

Attachments

• Wood.jpg
    Wood.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 733
  • fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 727
Nice load, not sure about the 7-10 cord though unless you are from MI or upstate NY. 16x7x3 is 336 cu ft. Loose tossed, 1.5 - 2 cord depending on how careful you were. Stacked, somewhere between 2.5 and 3.

nice load of wood...your gonna be good to go for next year, its nice to have friends with a lot of trees ,,,they dont want :p

SolarAndWood said:
Nice load, not sure about the 7-10 cord though unless you are from MI or upstate NY. 16x7x3 is 336 cu ft. Loose tossed, 1.5 - 2 cord depending on how careful you were. Stacked, somewhere between 2.5 and 3.

That is correct. Good calculations my friend. So, if he was talking 7-10 "face" cord, he was correct as well. As long as you are discussing it from an "uneducated" man's perspective, from upstate N.Y., like myself. :lol:

I don't know what's nicer the wood or the stove..... :cheese:

Looks like some great firewood. Keep on cutting.

That's some nice wood. Get while the getting is good.
2 or 3 years ahead when all done would be a great score.
Keep the wood & pictures coming :)
A good full day's work to this point, good, fun, healthy for you work. Splitting & stacking is good hard work too, just not as fun :)
Good job!

SolarAndWood said:
Nice load, not sure about the 7-10 cord though unless you are from MI or upstate NY.

Ain't that the truth! I stack my wood in pretty much 1 cord stacks(24'x4'x16") give or take a little. When people come over I say each stack is a cord, every time I get "oh no that's more than a cord". <sigh> Now I just say each stack is three face cords, it's much easier. It's even worse when I tell them I burn 5 of those stacks a year!(hoping for a little less with the BK) :lol: I don't think most people understand the 24/7 thing when it comes to full time heating from roughly Sept-May.

sheepdog000 said:
Yesterday, spent the the first of four days with a buddy collecting wood. A friend of mine wanted his property thinned out a bit, so he got happy with a can of orange spray paint, marking the trees OK to take. This was load #1 of many I'm sure. It filled an 16' car hauler with 3' sides just overflowing. My buddies truck is pretty powerful and was sagging under this load. Best part is, this load consisted of 5% dead dry ash, 25% black cherry, & 70% white oak. It will all be split & stacked in the next few weeks. I'm no expert, but my buddy who's been wood burning forever anticipated about 7-10 cord out of this trip. The stacked pile of rounds on the far right is Black Locust I got a couple of weeks ago.

The second pic is us enjoying a fire last night. :cheese:

Looks like some nice stove chow, lets get it stacked.

Nice Job
Zap

rdust said:
SolarAndWood said:
Nice load, not sure about the 7-10 cord though unless you are from MI or upstate NY.

I don't think most people understand the 24/7 thing when it comes to full time heating from roughly Sept-May.
Visted my parents today, said I don't think I have enough wood, My mom tells me we've only turned the heater on a few times how could you burn that much. I said mom I don't think you understand the wood stove.....I can't just go flip the switch for instant heat, I need to maintain temp. Def did not understand

Very nice hearth set-up you got their Sheepdog. Looks very well done and looks relaxing. How big of a house are you keeping warm with that. What kind of stove is it? Have a good one.

Nice score and nice stove and hearth!

Ray

Nice Score. Love it when stuff like that follows you home.

Nice pile there.

Gasifier, my stove is a Hearthstone Shelburne. My house is only 988 square feet. With the fan next to the stove and the ceiling fans going, the heat gets to the bedrooms eventually. My biggest hurdle is all I have somewhat seasoned is ash. All my Oak and Black Cherry hasn't been split yet. My BL was split in early August. My HL was split a month ago. That = no real hard wood till next year. I know of a guy who has seasoned wood (actually a couple of years old) that I'm thinking of picking up a couple of cords. We shall see what happens. My neighbor is gonna hate me for all the wood I'm stacking on pallets in my yard. I should have about perhaps 12-15 face cord when I'm done. I'll post pics and take measurements when I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.