Look what the wood fairy dropped off today. What is the stringy wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Farmer friend dropped of the last of the wood he owed me. Mostly oak and some mystery wood. Very stringy, any suggestions?
I need to add that there is no bark or no marking on the wood from insects like on ash logs. The out layer under the bark is unremarkable.

Attachments

• stringy wood.jpg
    stringy wood.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 480
gzecc said:
Farmer friend dropped of the last of the wood he owed me. Mostly oak and some mystery wood. Very stringy, any suggestions?
Congratulations to me. I am now 2 years ahead, thats why I took oak!

Attachments

• wood pile.jpg
    wood pile.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 468
Feels good to be two yaers ahead doesn it? Im going to replenish my supply as I burn this winter so Ill always be at least two years ahead, burning seasoned wood makes a big difference.

Well, if it is stringy it is most likely elm but with the quality of your pictures, it could be about anything.

Is that a dense fog, a driving rainstorm or oil on your lens? ;-)

wendell said:
Well, if it is stringy it is most likely elm but with the quality of your pictures, it could be about anything.

Is that a dense fog, a driving rainstorm or oil on your lens? ;-)
Crappy cell phone picture.

Hard to tell for sure due to the pics, but I would venture to say it is elm.

Hard to tell what wood this is . . . elm is notorious for being stringy, but it doesn't have a lock on being the only stringy wood . . . if you think it's cedar you should be able to tell by cutting or splitting the wood and taking a whiff of it.

Looks exactly like the elm I'm slowly breaking my back over.

gzecc said:
gzecc said:
Congratulations to me. I am now 2 years ahead, thats why I took oak!

Good deal gzecc being two years ahead, are you going for three years ahead?

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.