Looking for more input!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy08

Dec 5, 2008
Southern Tier NY
Looking for some advice on placing an insert in the lower level fireplace on a tri-level home. Each floor has a fireplace. Currently the middle floor is being used as a fireplace and had to place an extenda-flue on this chimmeny for all the reasons lsiting on this site. The biggest being the smoke would draw back down into the lower level fireplace. I have recently purchased an inset and would like to install on lower level and keep the fireplace working on middle floor. The upper floor fireplace is sealed up.

Any issues with smoke or drafting to look at? Do I need to change anything with chimney hieghts?

That's a common problem with multiple fireplaces. They use a tremendous amount of combustion air and if your house is tight it will find the place with the least resistance (another flue) to draw air back in to equalize the pressure. Probably the best thing to do with your mid level fireplace is to hook up outside combustion air if possible or crack a nearby window when in use. Maybe after you install your insert you will find you won't need your other fireplace and can seal it up?

todd is right , also , if the lower level fireplace is not in use, close its damper

also , a tip if you want to look at it. if your house is tight let in some air , a way to do so is with an "air sump" look in the basement for a spot that you can bore through the ledgerboard , and insert a pipe , then elbow down and put in a drop pipe which stops about 3 inches from the floor , now here's the trick , put a 5 gallon bucket on the floor and put the end of the pipe in it. your house will want air , but a free air exchange would be counterproductive , putting the intake pipe inside a bucket creates a well , which only allows as much air as the house needs to come in , the rest is trapped in the bucket by its own weight (remember cold air ina warm air environment is heavy so it stays in the bucket only allowing as much as needed to escape through the draw of the vacuum. trust me it does work and doesnt blast you with cold air.

stoveguy2esw said:
todd is right , also , if the lower level fireplace is not in use, close the damper
If you cannot close it off well enough, google for inflatable damper

The upstairs of the house may need to be inspected for air leaking out and sealed better. Homes need makeup air to counter what is consumed or lost to stack effect. The lower part of the house is what normally gets attention because the air is leaking in and the upstairs often gets neglected because air leaking out doesn't present as cold drafts.

stoveguy2esw said:
todd is right , also , if the lower level fireplace is not in use, close its damper

also , a tip if you want to look at it. if your house is tight let in some air , a way to do so is with an "air sump" look in the basement for a spot that you can bore through the ledgerboard , and insert a pipe , then elbow down and put in a drop pipe which stops about 3 inches from the floor , now here's the trick , put a 5 gallon bucket on the floor and put the end of the pipe in it. your house will want air , but a free air exchange would be counterproductive , putting the intake pipe inside a bucket creates a well , which only allows as much air as the house needs to come in , the rest is trapped in the bucket by its own weight (remember cold air ina warm air environment is heavy so it stays in the bucket only allowing as much as needed to escape through the draw of the vacuum. trust me it does work and doesnt blast you with cold air.

Now that is interesting!

So if I understand the responses so far, it does not appear to be any major problems for this installation. The only exception being possibly the air intake. Will I need to do anything with the chimney heights? Leave the middle floor fireplace with the extenda flue and the basement as is correct? Would I notice any possible problems with smoke trying to enter the other chimneys with the insert fired up?

I would extend the flue that is used most to keep the smoke above the others. Are these flues all on the same chimney? If you still get some smoke after the insert is installed you may want to look into chimney top dampers for the fireplace, they have a tight gasket seal the smoke will pass right over. I have two side by side flues and had a smoke problem til I did the extension and top damper.

http://www.volko.com/lyemance.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.