Looking for pics of the inside of doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
I am hoping someone has a good connection and is willing to put up a pic of what the inside of your wood stove door looks like and the stove front with the door open. I would like to have a visual comparison. I suspect my door is leaky yet again. I replaced the gasket but might have to go bigger. Thanks in advance

Why don't you post pics of your door and we'll render our opinion? If you see pics of other people's doors, you might not know or recognize if their gasket is leaking unless someone comes along with before and after pics of a proper gasket replacement. The way a stove is loaded and operated can have a lot to do with sooting up the glass. Also, different brands and models of stoves will have different internal flow characteristics.

This is what it looks like .

Attachments

• 104_0238.jpg
    104_0238.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 318
devinsdad said:
I am hoping someone has a good connection and is willing to put up a pic of what the inside of your wood stove door looks like and the stove front with the door open. I would like to have a visual comparison. I suspect my door is leaky yet again. I replaced the gasket but might have to go bigger. Thanks in advance

devinsdad here are some pictures of the Lopi Liberty door inside and out.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2156.jpg
    100_2156.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 100_2157.jpg
    100_2157.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_2158.jpg
    100_2158.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 271
Zap- Thanks for the help . I see your door has the same thing going on on the sides just not as pronounced.I was concerned I was doing damage to the door. I can't seem to keep a dollar bill from sliding out-some places offer more resistance than others- I'm using a 5/8" gasket now. Might have to go for a 3/4"? I'm not experiencing any runaway fires but it has yet to be really cold here in the north country. Maybe when the temps really drop the leaks? will get worse by the increase in draft.

devinsdad said:
Zap- Thanks for the help . I see your door has the same thing going on on the sides just not as pronounced.I was concerned I was doing damage to the door. I can't seem to keep a dollar bill from sliding out-some places offer more resistance than others- I'm using a 5/8" gasket now. Might have to go for a 3/4"? I'm not experiencing any runaway fires but it has yet to be really cold here in the north country. Maybe when the temps really drop the leaks? will get worse by the increase in draft.

On the sides I had splits that were 16 inches long which almost touch the glass and thats why the glass looks like that way. Earlier this year I had to tighten the door up by removing one washer from the backside of the cam which gave me a tight seal.

In the picture number 10 is the cam and number 9 are the washers which I removed one so the seal would be tight.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2160-1.jpg
    100_2160-1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 263
devinsdad said:
This is what it looks like .

I don't see any darkened spots where smoke is leaking through the gaskets. But, I also know pictures can be deceiving.

I'm under the impression that some brown residual darkening is kinda normal. It's the black, dry thin layer that I don't want to see. I had the black stuff right where the door gasket started and stopped. By replacing the gasket, I rid myself of the black stuff but still get the brown haze in the same location. When I replaced it I took special care to make sure the gasket ends butted together well and cut them on a bias and overlapped them for a better seal.

devinsdad, my glass looks very similar to yours, brown in the corners and a spot in the middle up top. Can you get rid of the brown haze? Is it a glass gasket issue?

Hmmm....Just tightened all 4 screws around the glass :red:

I haven't seen any sign of bad gasket leaks in any of the posted pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.