Looking for the best pellet for Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrssword

Sep 20, 2011
Eastern, CT
Hi, I'm new to the forum & to pellet stoves in general. We are removing our wood stove and just purchased an 2007 Lopi Leyden in excellent used condition to replace it. I have been reading everything I can find on this forum about this particular stove & what other Lopi Leyden owners use for pellets but some of the info was from several years ago. We have a 2 story 1600 square foot home (stone exterior) and plan to use the stove as our primary heat to save on oil costs. From what I have read I am planning on buying 3 tons of pellets to get us started and see how long that lasts us. We are able to haul our own so I have several choices for pellets in our area. I was wondering what other Leyden owners have found work best for pellets? Unfortunately it's already becoming chilly here and I won't have time to purchase a couple bags and try different ones this year. I have considered buying 2 tons of one and 1 ton of another. I welcome any advice you can give on the stove as well as I hear (have read) it can be finicky and I am anxious to get it installed and get started! Thanks for any advice in advance! = )

First of all, welcome to the forum. There are plenty of Leyden owners here, so I'm sure they'll be along to give their opinion.

That said, the real question is: What pellets are available to you? If you list the pellets that you have in your area (w/ prices), I'm sure you'll get opinions.

But the Leyden is a great stove, and any decent or better quality pellet will burn well in it.....Travis Ind. makes a very good stove.

BTW, since the stove you're buying is used, I HIGHLY suggest planning on taking it apart and cleaning it. Since it sounds like it hasn't been installed yet, doing the work outside in a garage or driveway will make it much easier. Also consider looking up "leaf blower trick" in the search of the forum, and clean the stove with one if you have it.

Then, do a 1-2 hour burn of the stove outdoors just to make sure all is well with it before the install.

Good luck, and don't forget to post some pics.

My best luck has been with Green team. Very clean and great heat. I just can never seem to get enough for a whole winter. The past few years i have been using the Maine's choice with pretty good results. I usually clean twice a week or so depending on the weather. Usually take 10-15 minutes to give it a good going over, 45 if my son is helping.

Imacman-

Thank you for the advice. We are most definitely planning a thorough cleaning of this baby and I will look into the leaf blower trick. I have compiled a list of pellets I have found in the area. I can see by reading through the forum there are several pellet stove users in the eastern, ct area so if any of you know of good places to buy pellets in the Norwichtown area I would appreciate the info.

Wood pellet options:
Curran Ideal Premium $269.
 O'Malley's Oak Hardwood $269.
Green Gold Hardwood $289.
Instant Heat Hardwood $269
Lignetics $294
Curran Optimal Super Premium $289
Geneva Super Premium $254
$69 delivery on all above or 2 hr round trip drive

Maine Woods $249
New England wood $259
Vermont Woods $279
Country Pine Premium $269
Hammer Hot Ones $279
$69 Delivery or 30 min round trip

Agway Pellets $269
local for pick up

Turman Hardwood Premium $278
Hammer Hot Ones $287
New England Wood $260
Okies premium $268.46
Ambiance super premium $265
Delivery $92 (2 tons), $107 (3 tons) or 1.5 hr round trip

Local Lowes has MWP $177.30 (with 10% discount) possibly stored outdoors though.

Note: we have truck that can fit 2 tons for pick up.

Nksdad - Thank you for your help. I'm unsure if I will have any luck finding stove chow at this point but I'm still looking around. And I understand the longer clean time I was just thinking how "fun" the cleaning process shall be with my 2 year old son. I can see him covered in ash already.

The only pellet my Leyden did not like was the old Maine Woods from a few years ago. I have burned all of these just fine but they are all different with different amounts of ash and black buildup on the glass:

Hamer's (Elkins plant very low ash great pellet)
Barefoot (great pellet)
Lignetics (green bag good pellet)
Okanagan (good pellet, glass stays cleaner with these)
NEWP (ok)
O'Malley (burned ok but kind of dirty)
H.E.A.T (burned ok but too much ash)

Thanks for the advice. Sure is saving me buying and trying this year. I was leaning toward the okies or the hammers from the info I had gathered on the forum. Hoping to find some stove chow for the milder weather we have at the moment. The hunt is on! = )

Yes from what I have read here Stove Chow, Green Team, Green Supreme, and Old Dominion from Tractor Supply, HD, or Lowes are all OK. I have a few bags of the Green Supreme but have not tried them yet - not cold enough. I was at TSC Griswold last week and they were $197 price matched from HD/Lowes. I hear prices are going up and that is normal for this time of year and then they will run out. I recommend picking them up with your truck to save money if you don't mind unloading and stacking them. I bought a Tractor Supply utility trailer just for that purpose.

TSC also has Instant Heat but I haven't heard anything good about them.

Just called TSC in Griswold still $197 for green supreme. Located 1 ton of stove chow but don't think they will last until after work to pick them up. Going to try.

Just to clarify.. Everytime I mentioned stove chow I meant green team! I'm pretty sure I was reading two different threads on different windows at the same time and mixed up stove chow with green teams and then just stuck with it. At least I'm consistent. Haha

Pretty sure I read stove chow wasn't a good pellet for the Leyden somewhere on this site. Is there a difference between the green supreme & green teams that anyone is aware of?

I have burned Energex softwoods- good heat, high ash. Lignetics-green bag- great heat, low ash, Okies- Great heat, low ash, Cubex-great heat low ash, LG's- good heat, medium ash. This year's stash is 1 ton Corinth and two tons of Spruce Pointes. My house sounds similar in size and set up to yours. I burn 3 to 3.5 tons a season, burning 24/7 as primary heat. I have had my stove since 2008, not one issue yet. Good luck!!!

Thanks utilitrack! I'm glad to hear your stove is still going strong. The lady that sold us ours said she has never had one issue with her Leyden and couldn't have been more pleased with it, she only sold because she was moving away. I was thinking 3 to 3.5 tons would be about right. And my husband thought you just install a stove and throw in some pellets and that's all there is too it. I'm so thankful I found this site although now I might be slightly addicted. = )

Utillitrack, you got the corinths to burn in yours? i have never met anyone that could get them to burn. I just get clumps in the burn pot after a few hours.

Mrsword we're neighbors..almost. We live in Lebanon. This is our first year with a stove as well.

We found spruce pointe at ace hardware in Norwich, it was 279 a ton with delivery included. I've read this is a good pellet. We picked up 2 tons.

I've heard good things about the agway brand but I the price is a bit high. Although their delivery includes putting the pellets in your basement for you.

Also the HD in Waterford had stove chow last week.

Millsk said:
We found spruce pointe at ace hardware in Norwich, it was 279 a ton with delivery included. I've read this is a good pellet. We picked up 2 tons.

I've heard good things about the agway brand but I the price is a bit high. Although their delivery includes putting the pellets in your basement for you.

Spruce Points are VERY good pellets.....wish I could find them here this year. I think I read on the forum that the Agway pellets are really Hamer's in Agway bags.....also a very good pellet.

Mrsword we're neighbors..almost. We live in Lebanon. This is our first year with a stove as well.

Oh you are close! I've seen a few others from our area on the forum. I will call tomorrow and check ace hardware to see if they have any left. Thank you for the pointer! I have a friend in RI that swears by agway brand as well. I was thinking of buying a half ton to try. I also found some green supremes up in Griswold at TSC. Checked them out today and they have a decent supply. I called the HD in Waterford today and the guy couldn't tell me the name of what they had, said it started with fire.. Haha He said they had 10 pallets this morning and were down to 6. I'm hoping to get my 3-3.5 tons choices figured out and ordered by this weekend. Unfortunately we won't have our pellet stove installed until mid-Oct. Anxious to get started! Although at the same time not cause that means our 8 months of winter is starting. = /

imacman said:
Millsk said:

Spruce Points are VERY good pellets.....wish I could find them here this year. I think I read on the forum that the Agway pellets are really Hamer's in Agway bags.....also a very good pellet.

Yes I also read Agway brand was possibly hammers although the lady I spoke with at Agway mentioned they were a new England mixed.

Just wanted to thank everyone for your input! I now have 1 ton of green supremes $197. & 1 ton of spruce points $279 in the garage. Going to see how these burn and then decide on a 3rd ton. Having my Leyden installed in less than 2 weeks! So excited!

Mines burning right now. 65 in house this am was good excuse to turn it on. Burning last bits of Oakies in hopper and filled it up with Stove Chow from HD to check those out - bought 4 bags to try em.

Let me know what you think of the stove chow. I bought the green supremes for shoulder season so I want to get 1 more ton of something hot burning. What did you think of the Oakies? I really wanted to try some of those but ruled them out since I couldn't find any close enough.

Yes it is chilly in the house this morning but unfortunately my Lopi installer is booked up for another 2 weeks! Might have to burn a little oil but holding out as long as possible.

Hi Folks, name is Thomas, on my 5th year with the Leyden, I tried to go cheap this year & tried a relatively unknown "Great American Pellet" brand from a local vendor, they burn great, but fast, & lots of ash .. i'm mowing through them now big time with this recent cold weather. I like others here have tried all the expensive pellets (bearfoot, etc..) & saw very little difference except for the ash build up. Is it just me or does this stove seem to do better with hardwood? I have tried LG's & Cleanfire Pacific but they didn't perform well for me. Any suggestions or hints are appreciated.

For the record, i am a stove cleaning Nazi, i clean mine usually daily, & not because i have to.

My set up, as seen with the comfy cat, is a 2008 Lopi Leyden direct vent (approx 3' ) with a outside air kit.

Wow, nothing like digging up an old thread.

I purchased 8 tons of Greene Teams at Lowe's in Lisbon for $168/ton (bought them in August before they jacked up the price). I am very happy with how they burn in my Leyden, haven't tried anything else as this is my first season with the stove. I am looking to get a ton of Somerset's to try if I can find them, and was thinking about getting a ton of Cleanfire Pacific's as well. Some folks say that GT's are only a shoulder season pellet, but I certainly can't complain about the heat I am getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.