Looks like Mr. Clean is going to have to eat some crow...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
Or "Do what I say NOT what I do..."

I've run a ton and a half of pellets thru my St. Croix this year... one ton of Western Elite Douglas Fir and a mix of Marth Pine and Lumberjack softwoods when I ran out of Western.s... the stove gets a quick clean up about once per week when I'm home... other wise my bride empties the ash pan and does a quick vacuuming job when she can.

Most folks here know I'm a big proponent of using the world-famous 'leaf blower trick' on the stove after every ton... something I haven't done yet this year. I DID do a very through pre-season clean with the leafblower and 120lb compressed air... the stove has never had a cleaner start to the season.

I got home this morning and found my bride was idling the stove on setting #1... saving pellets I assume. She's been doing a lot of this lately... and NOT running it on 5 or 6 for 1/2 hour per day as is suggested by me, my dealer and St. Croix... so I knew what was going to happen next... and it did.

When I got home I shut the stove off to do a cleaning AND fire up the leafblower... the stove was off for almost an hour but it was still generating enough heat that the 'proof of fire' switch would not let it shut down. I peeked thru the closed door and spotted some unburned pellets in the ash pan... and a big pile of unburned and smoldering pellets in the fire pot... huh... I haven't had THAT happen in years.

Soon smoke started sneaking out of the door gasket and air wash... just to see what would happen, I turned the stove back on, pellets started feeding, lots of smoke then a big POOF!!! and it re-lit.

Sound familiar? A plugged up stove! In the home of the self-proclaimed "Leafblower King"....It's blasphemy I tell you!!!

So now, with my tail tucked firmly between my legs, I will do a good cleaning AND fire up the old LB and have it do what it does best...

Sometimes confession is good for the soul...

Like they say it happens, time just seems to fly by especially the older you get.

I'd even send you some so your bride can bake you a crow pie for dinner, however I can't until sometime in March when it is once again crow season.

Now the Leafblowers of the world are a bit miffed as you have been neglecting them as of late, perhaps you need to beg for mercy ole "Leafblower King".

I too, have one of those well intended helpers. Only thing is that it take so long to clean up after her "helping"! I won't complain though, she means so much in many other ways.
By the way, thank you for your persistence in keeping us steered toward having a clean stove. Love the Leaf Blower trick. Still get a kick from talking to others about it.

So when you do the leaf blower thing do you have the cleanout T open? Seems like it would overspin the exhaust blower if not?

Turbo-Quad said:
So when you do the leaf blower thing do you have the cleanout T open? Seems like it would overspin the exhaust blower if not?

Nope... it won't generate enough vacuum to harm anything... it will spin the fans a little that's all.

Some folks open and close the door while they are using it ... I sometimes do, too. I'll also bang on the back wall of the firebox to help dislodge ash...

krooser said:
.....I'll also bang on the back wall of the firebox to help dislodge ash...

Just don't do this on any stove that has cast iron parts......

Krooser, you must feel much better now, like a load has been lifted off your shoulders.......

I think I saw the ash cloud from here.

only 1 1/2 tons and your stove is plugged up
to the point where it's running chitty?
Pellets must have a high ash content. I'm
in year #6 with this stove and never had
it get plugged and I have never used a
leaf blower on it. Happy blowing Krooser!

well mistake are made but without that leaf blower trick I would have alot more work to do,that trick is the best....So I am more than willing to let that slip by un-noticed....lol

Xena said:
only 1 1/2 tons and your stove is plugged up
to the point where it's running chitty?
Pellets must have a high ash content. I'm
in year #6 with this stove and never had
it get plugged and I have never used a
leaf blower on it. Happy blowing Krooser!

Never say never.

Status
Not open for further replies.