Looks like my new chimney will limit my choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Fleming

Apr 19, 2006
I'm building a new 1,500 sf summer home. The roof just went on and, while the roofer was there, I bought some Supervent at Lowe's and had him install the flashing. I then stuck 4 feet of 6 inch Class A chimney through it and had him put on the cap and storm collar. That way, I didn't have to go on the roof. That's the good part.

I had planned for a zero clearance fireplace. Something small, like the RSF Chameleon. I just learned that, even though it's small, it uses 7 inch pipe that is specific to the stove. My Supervent brand won't work even if it were 7 inch pipe. It appears that all zero clearance fireplaces have a "priority" chimney requirement.

Fortunately, my floor plan provides for enough room for a freestanding woodstove, but I'd rather have a small zero clearance that allows me to direct the heat through ducting to the upper floor. Anybody have any great ideas for which direction I should go? I guess it's possible to bite the bullet and replace the existing pipe with whatever is required for the RSF Chameleon. I'm using the chimney right now with a little "trash burner" stove to keep it warm enough inside to work through the winter.

Mark

Attachments

• 101_1465 (Medium).jpg
    101_1465 (Medium).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 212
They do make Zero Clearance stoves. They are sort of like an insert, except they install directly into the chase instead of into an existing fireplace.

I believe many of them use 6" pipe.

They burn efficiently like a stove too, instead of like a fireplace.

-SF

Most high efficiency ZC units have specific pipe that they are tested with and must use, and it is often 8" pipe. You best option is going to be a wood stove which in general can use any class A pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.