Lopi air control question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TradEddie

Minister of Fire
Jan 24, 2012
SE PA
Can anyone out there clarify the Air Control instructions on my Lopi Freedom? While they seem clear enough, it means that even though the control knob moves about 3 inches from fully open (pushed in) to fully closed (pulled out), the recommended control is less than ½ inch of that overall movement, and that everything between overnight and high burn is within a range of 5/32 inch. I know these are only approximations, but do these numbers seem right? If those measurements were a percentage open (i.e. if 7/16” meant almost half open, not almost ½” open), they would more closely reflect what I see happening.

From manual:
Approximate Air Control Settings:
Overnight Burn Fully out to 9/32" open
Medium Burn 9/32" to 5/16" open
Medium High Burn 5/16" to 7/16" open
High Burn 7/16" open to fully pushed in

Thanks

TE

That does seem kind of silly. Must have been a Boeing engineer that wrote up that one. LOL The amount the control will need to be closed will vary with the installation. Do it by eye and watching the fire. Once the wood is fully engaged in fire, incrementally close the air until the flame get lazy. Stop and wait 5-10 minutes and then repeat.

That was the same thing my liberty instructions said. I don't go by this in fact how could anyone go by this? You would spend alot of time measuring. Don't even pay attention to those numbers. I do the same thing begreen suggested. After the first couple of fires you have the air control down and will fine the sweet spot

What I did was found the middle and mark it, then found the 1/4 and the 3/4 open and mark it. From those points, I can kinda get an idea where it should be. At night after the fire settles down and Im about to go to bed. I close it all the way and with my 1/4 mark I know where to pull it open to. It's half a$$ but it works for me.

I light her up with the primary air control fully open and with the bypass open. After less than 5 minutes I close the bypass. Then at about another 5 minutes I close down the primary air to half. Full travel on mine is about 2 1/4 inches so I'm pulling it out an inch or so. Within 30 minutes we are 5-600 degrees. Then I pull it out all the way (minimum air) as a reference point and push it back a quarter inch. The secondaries are really screaming at this point. It may take an eighth of an inch tweak either way after that. Bed time setting is about that quarter inch from fully closed. If I pull it all the way out to minimum air, it will starve a little and give dirtier glass. Anymore I don't have to think about it, just a quick look at the fire followed by a slight adjustment.

1/8" adjustments are in the range I expect, and that's about what I do, but 1/32" adjustments suggested in the manual are somewhere close to impossible, never mind impractical, just wondered if anyone else had seen this as crazy.
TE

1/8" adjustments are in the range I expect, and that's about what I do, but 1/32" adjustments suggested in the manual are somewhere close to impossible, never mind impractical, just wondered if anyone else had seen this as crazy.
TE
I've got the lopi declaration and it has the same air adjustments listed in the manual. The first time I read it I thought it was crazy too. I pretty much just ignored it after that, but you bring up a good point that it may be a typo and they added the " by accident. Fraction of the full range of motion would make way more sense and is more in line with what I see also.The manual has a bunch of other spelling mistakes in it so it wouldn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.