Lopi Cape Cod Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmelani

Aug 4, 2011
SW CT
After about two years of looking at many of the different Inserts on the market and reading reviews I am close to pulling the trigger. Based on the constraints of my fireplace, 18 inch hearth depth and fascia board covering the existing brick I needed a flush fitting insert. Also my wife really liked the Lopi Cape Cod and this unit would require the least amount of change to the existing fireplace.
We also really liked the Jotul C550 but it required a lot of change to the fireplace and we were not crazy about the heat shield.

Now that I have narrowed down my selection, I was looking for some feedback on the Lopi Cape Cod Insert by some owners. Burn times, area that is being heated, size of the firebox (is it big enough for your) noise of the blowers and also any experience with the new Green Start (matchless electric start option).

Also does anyone have much success using their furnace fan to circulate warm air from the Insert throughout the house? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Frank

I don't have one (I did have a Republic though) so I can't answer real well. Lopi does have a very good reputation though. Our Lopi did have a rataly blower.
One thing you should be aware of though is that Lopi is coming out with a hybrid cat and burn tube technology soon. Might want to wait?

I would look up reviews on the Lopi Declaration insert for comparison. Lopi in general makes good stoves and this one should serve you well.

Often using the furnace fan to circulate heat is inefficient, especially if the ductwork is uninsulated and traveling through a cold basement. But we see many folks having good success using a simple table fan, running on low speed on the floor, blowing cold air into the stove room.

Saturday morning I had the installer come out and look at our fire place and chimney to determine the changes that would have to be made before the installation. Up to this point the Cape Cod required the least amount of changes based on "my interpretation" of the manual. The main issue was around the 3/4" wood fascia board fairly near the opening, however the installer said this would not be a problem. He determined the Lopi could be installed with no changes to the fascia board or mantle, he also determined the Jotul C550 could be installed by simply raising the mantle two inches.

I have always been partial to the Jotul based on the size of the firebox and the positive reviews on this website. Before pulling the trigger I was hoping someone might have the Jotul C550 in the Blue Black Enamel that might share a picture of their setup. Unfortunately our local store did not have a floor model that we could see.

Have read numerous reviews on the Lopi, all seemed good and I especially like the separate damper/air control. However the Jotul has a bigger firebox and my wife and I just like the look a little better. Thanks again and would really like to see some pictures of the Blue/Black enamel.

Attachments

• Picture 250.jpg
    Picture 250.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 475
Status
Not open for further replies.