lopi endeavor stove temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
Like to say what a pleasure this stove is to operate compared to my last.

Anyway a couple of questions with stove top temp and flue temp.

At time with the air shut down my stove top temp will settle at 750 degrees and work its way down and stay around 650. Watched it already work its way to 800 already. No glowing parts and burning beautiful.

However I have a thermometer on the stove pipe approximately 18 inches up. Not a probe just magnetic. Reading of temp consistently stays at 300 and never exceeds 350.

Is this accurate for this stove.

Thanks

My Endeavor likes to peak on the stove top around 700F during full loads on very cold nights. But most of the time it will "cruise" in the 600-650F range. I have not invested in a flue gas probe for my double wall connector pipe, so I am afraid I cannot offer any insight there. It's a huge topic of debate here, though.

Oh man, mine likes to cruise at 400 degrees. Bad wood people, bad wood!

My stove (made by the same company that makes the Lopi) will cruise at 650 - 700ºF, and my Flue Thermometer will typically read 100ºF ±25ºF below that.

All I do, is keep an eye on my Flue (a probe type, in a double-wall pipe), thermometer, to ensure that it doesn't get up in the "Red" zone. My goal for "cruising" is to have the damper out enough to put more heat in the house than up the pipe, whilst not killing the flames in the stove altogether. My secondaries kick in when I do this, as well.

I have learned to take the temps on my stove thermometer with a grain of salt, and pay more attention to what's going out my Flue Pipe (both in terms of temps as well as heat).

As has been said in here many times, and in many different threads........."your mileage will vary." (Every set up is different to some degree. There ARE some basic similarities, which is what I've tried to define here).

-Soupy1957

I see soupy has went to the dark side, (flue temp vs stove top) :cheese: It does seem like most peoples flue temp run 100 degrees give or take a little below the stove top after the fire has settled in but if it is working and no cresote formed you will be a happy camper.

Soupy1957 is fast being turned into a "seasoned" wood burner, by you blokes!!

-Soupy1957

With a larger load of wood, my stove will heat up into the 600 range, the blower will come on and cruise around that temp (maybe 550) for a while. With a smaller load, say 3 medium sized splits it cruises around 400-450.

I have only burned my stove for a few days and have less than optimal wood. I can always lay my hand on my double wall flue pipe for at least a short time.

Our endeavor runs 300F to 450F on the stovetop (lower level). I never let it get above the 550F. We have double wall pipe and insulated chiminy. Chiminy runs straight up. No bends. Burn 24/7 for the last 7 seasons. Cleaned the chiminy twice in 7 years. Never had more than a half cup of dry dark ash. Use Rutland magnetic termometers. Have a second one to check the first. Cant be doing too much wrong can we?

jensent said:
Our endeavor runs 300F to 450F on the stovetop (lower level). I never let it get above the 550F. We have double wall pipe and insulated chiminy. Chiminy runs straight up. No bends. Burn 24/7 for the last 7 seasons. Cleaned the chiminy twice in 7 years. Never had more than a half cup of dry dark ash. Use Rutland magnetic termometers. Have a second one to check the first. Cant be doing too much wrong can we?
That's how mine runs well this morning i had it up to 500.

murry said:
Like to say what a pleasure this stove is to operate compared to my last.

Anyway a couple of questions with stove top temp and flue temp.

At time with the air shut down my stove top temp will settle at 750 degrees and work its way down and stay around 650. Watched it already work its way to 800 already. No glowing parts and burning beautiful.

However I have a thermometer on the stove pipe approximately 18 inches up. Not a probe just magnetic. Reading of temp consistently stays at 300 and never exceeds 350.

Is this accurate for this stove.

Thanks

Sounds like you may be pushing the stove a little hard or the stove top thermometer is inaccurate, especially if these temps are with the blower going. Try shutting down the air earlier and see if you can get it to cruise at 600F.

PS: Can you add your Lopi to your signature line?

joefrompa said:

Thought that was Dad wood? :) Stick another 3 ft. of pipe on that chimney and see if it improves things a lot.

BeGreen said:
joefrompa said:

Thought that was Dad wood? :) Stick another 3 ft. of pipe on that chimney and see if it improves things a lot.
I added 4 feet to my chimney, big performance improvement.

Seriously? I've got it coming out of the masonry about 3 feet already....you mean get a 3' section of single-wall pipe and simply raise the cap another 3 feet?

IIRC this stove has 13 ft of flue mentioned in another thread. If correct, that's marginal.

If you want to do a test, get a length of cheap, 6" duct pipe and stick it up there temporarily. If the insert behaves a lot better, then yes, the next step is to figure out how to do it safely or to live with the marginal performance of the shorter flue.

For murry, this does not seem to be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.