Lopi Endeavor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
I have been burning with the Endeavor for two years now. This will be my third. I do have some questions concerning temps, etc..

I use two magnetic stove thermometers. One on the outside of the stove pipe about 18 inches above the stove and one on the stove top.
Questions:
Typically what temperature does your thermometers run when cruising?

When starting a new fire with a bed of coal's what temps do you start to shut evrything down for a good burn?

We don't have a thermo on the pipe, it's a double wall.

This last season was our first year burning. We have a rutland thermo on the top of the stove.

The Republic (sister stove to your Endeavor) typically cruised at 500-550 and I shut down at about 600.

I have a stove top and a magnetic thermometer 24" above the stove on double wall pipe. I shut the bypass when the stovepipe thermometer is about 150 (good draft). I start shutting down the primary air control in the low 500 range and try and keep it in the 500 range but often end up cruising at 600 and change. Some fires want to burn 700 or more, these stove like to run hot in my experience. My stovepipe thermometer runs about 200 to 250 as I recall when cruising.

Mine ran hot...hot...hot, it would "cruise" in the 700+ range on a full load with a decent coal bed with the blowers running.

Use telescoping dbl wall stove pipe. Thermometers are on the cook top (lower level). Have a Rutland and a Woodstock. Both read the same. Factory hi-temp chimney18ft, stove pipe 5.5ft. for a total of 23.5ft straight up. Can clean the chimney from the first floor by removing the dbl wall. Burn 24/7 during the heating season. Wood is seasoned c/s/s for three seasons. Clean chimney once every 3yr. and get about a cup of dry powder. Endeavor has heated our house for 9 seasons. We try to never let the temp above 500F. Run plenty of air(about half open or more). Usually keep it at 350F. Wood is what ever the tree service dumps in the side yard.
Tom

I have the liberty which is the big brother to the endeavor, although there is times I wish I had the endeavor. With a full load of my seasoned oak, ash, and locust it is impossible to keep the cruising temps under 700 sometimes 750 keeping the house between a toasty 85 and 90 degrees and if i get carried away sometime well above 90. After last year i found the best way to keep the temps down was to put two spits of green wood in with the dry stuff but then that would only take the cruising temp down to about 650, but after the green would dried out and stopped hissing the temp would shot back up again. My flue temps usually run between 300 and 400, but have been as high as 500 on single wall pipe

My experience is akin to rdust's. Ours likes to cruise around 700 to 750 for an hour or so on a full, fresh charge with an established coal bed. I've found that I can control this better with smaller loads and, with good, dry fuel, closing the primary air down sooner than I did when I first started operating the stove.

To keep the temp. down build a smaller fire. We always use dry wood. I think using green wood is a bad idea and will foul the chimney. Don't like the idea of a chimney fire. Just my opinion.
Tom

I have been burning with the Endeavor for two years now. This will be my third. I do have some questions concerning temps, etc..

I use two magnetic stove thermometers. One on the outside of the stove pipe about 18 inches above the stove and one on the stove top.
Questions:

When starting a new fire with a bed of coal's what temps do you start to shut evrything down for a good burn?

Sorry I can't help with your question but do you have a brass or puter door, im wondering if they hold there color after the stove has been used for some time?

I have the liberty which is the big brother to the endeavor, although there is times I wish I had the endeavor. With a full load of my seasoned oak, ash, and locust it is impossible to keep the cruising temps under 700 sometimes 750 keeping the house between a toasty 85 and 90 degrees and if i get carried away sometime well above 90. After last year i found the best way to keep the temps down was to put two spits of green wood in with the dry stuff but then that would only take the cruising temp down to about 650, but after the green would dried out and stopped hissing the temp would shot back up again. My flue temps usually run between 300 and 400, but have been as high as 500 on single wall pipe

Do you know if the brass or putter door holds it color ok after s few years of use ?? Or is a black door the way to go ??

Looking for advise on color of door to get with lopi stove, concered that the brass or putter will discolor after time ? Any input, do you have eather ?? Thx.

Have have better luck starting a new thread and asking. My guess is if you keep the finger prints off they'll do pretty good.

Maybe try a damper?

Do you know if the brass or putter door holds it color ok after s few years of use ?? Or is a black door the way to go ??
This will be my fourth year with the liberty and I have the pewter door and so far it still looks like new minus a few scratches I put on it:mad: My dealer runs her liberty in the showroom hard with the air control all the way open and has been run that way for 5 or 6 years with the pewter door and it still looks new also

Questions:

Keep in mind magnetic stove thermometers can be off 120 one way or the other

I like my instruments to be reliable. Our old SandHill is still accurate withing 10 deg. according to my IR thermometer. If my magnetic was off by more than 50 degrees I'd replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.