Lopi Leyden f/s Burn pot overflowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utilitrack

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2008
Central ME
Only burning at night so far on second low setting, but two times this week I woke up to a chilly house, checked the stove and burn pot was overflowing with pellets and the stove instrument panel malfunction light was blinking. I have not had good luck burning on low with this stove, runs like a champ on medium and high. Any suggestions? Using up last of LG's-short pieces of pellets and moving into Cubex- the first bag had many 1" and longer pellets. Running on low with too much or too little air causing my issues?

Thanks

Utilitrack said:
Only burning at night so far on second low setting, but two times this week I woke up to a chilly house, checked the stove and burn pot was overflowing with pellets and the stove instrument panel malfunction light was blinking. I have not had good luck burning on low with this stove, runs like a champ on medium and high. Any suggestions? Using up last of LG's-short pieces of pellets and moving into Cubex- the first bag had many 1" and longer pellets. Running on low with too much or too little air causing my issues?

Thanks

Which heating light was blinking? If I remember correctly the red malfunction light comes on and does not blink, one of the green, yellow, or red lights will blink.

Could be too much air blowing out the fire or could be not enough air and the pellets are smothering it. Did you see how fast pellets are dropping? If dropping too fast could be another problem. Don't think pellet brand would cause this. Mine runs like crap on #1 heat and #2 runs ok but glass gets real dirty. Works best on at least #3 heat.

You sure the ignitor is working? These stoves start up at the same feed rate no matter what your setting is as far as heat settings go.

When I have this problem with my Leyden it is usually because of too much air. On low I usually burn with the restrictor rod pushed all the way in or out just a tiny bit.

Wood Nugget said:
When I have this problem with my Leyden it is usually because of too much air. On low I usually burn with the restrictor rod pushed all the way in or out just a tiny bit.
Thanks, I'll try that, it is out about halfway now.

Sorry, didn't do a through reading on you post. Sounds like it's firing up and running and then going out. Like the others said, too much air. My issue with mine on low is air and the inconsistent feeding from the auger. Sometimes it dumps a huge amount out on 1 rotation and the next may be a moderate amount and next may yield nothing.

Utilitrack said:
Wood Nugget said:
Thanks, I'll try that, it is out about halfway now.
Unless the stove is pretty dirty and hasn't been cleaned in a while, that draft setting is way too much. I had the big brother to that stove (Astoria), and on low with a clean stove, I never had the rod out much past "1", and on med-high (2nd yellow light), I never had the air past 2 1/4

If the stove is truly clean, then get it burning normally, and follow the instructions in the manual for setting the draft....you want the rod out just far enough so the burning pellets are "dancing" around the burn pot a little. Too much and they will get blown out, and too little and the burn pot will fill with pellets.

Properly adjusted, I never had a problem burning on low (1st or 2nd green light).

Status
Not open for further replies.