Lopi Leyden - Rattle Noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

San D. Usky

Jan 15, 2011
Northern, NY
Hi Everyone - I recently purchased a Lopi Leyden Pellet Stove. I have had it about one month and there is a "ticking" or "Rattle" sound coming from somewhere...Any thoughts. I love the stove otherwise and I wanted to make sure this was not a typical sound. FYI - the dealer where I purchased the stove replaced the motor thinking that might be the issue and the noise subsided for a few days and then came back.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you have the tools hanging on the tabs on the back? Mine i think rattle sometimes when they are there. missing screw holding the back on?

Try changing the speed on the convection fan to see if the frequency of the rattle changes.

I just bought an Avalon Newport/Lopi Yankee and it had a bad combustion blower from the factory. I noticed another user on here with the same problem as well. The squirrel cage was not mounted concentrically to the shafts and made an ellipse when it turned causing it to be horribly out of balance.

Sounded like a popcorn seed stuck in the blower. The quality of the replacement blower is suspect as well but is quiet and has much less vibration than the first.

It has a large sticker on it that says "Made in Bulgaria" or something like that. WTH??

Thanks...no missing screws on the back or hanging tools. I have noticed it when the speed is high and low...not sure what the deal is but I am having it looked at again on Monday.

The sound is like a ticking or rattle but really hard to place where it comes from...it did somewhat diminish when the new motor was put on just last Monday and then it was back again full on as of yesterday?

I clean the stove really well find the noise just to be a bother as I have the stove in the living room where the tv is as well.

Thanks for the tips, feedback and suggestions. Very much appreciate the time.

hi everyone. New to pellet stoves. I have been lurking reading almost every post on this forum. I have a lopi leyden installed October 2010. My stove was ratteling really bad , super annoying. Turned out to be the track the ash pan slides on. I put a shim on each side and it stopped all the ratteling. Sorry no pictures yet.

Thanks for the reply. I will check in out. I am not so sure it's the ash pan; it seems to be very secure - it sounds like it's coming from the behind the stove somewhere? It's not so much a true rattle as a fast ticking or something similar. I can't detect any vibration either. Any other thougths would be appreciated. Thanks again to all who replied.

My Leyden did simlar after I messed around with the exhaust blower. There is a small bent piece of metal, sort of like a shelf, that is mounted directly under the exhaust motor. I'm not sure what it's purpose is. Anyway, one of the motors wires was slightly contacting this metal piece that was vibrating. It made a fast constant regular-timed ticking sound. Get a flashlight and get behind the stove, reach in from underneath and start grabbing at stuff. Obviously, don't stick your fingers in the room air blower. My guess is a wire tapping the back panel or something similar.

Dr. Drum - thanks for the tip...your definition seems to fit the bill with the fast ticking sound. I will poke around and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the tip.

Just a note. The guy that installed my stove came over today to check out the noise again. He went through everything and there is still a ticking noise. He still believes it comes from inside the motor. When the heat is low the ticking lessens...as I turn up the heat the ticking is louder? He plans to call the distributor and also Travis Industries to see if they have any ideas. I will post an update when I know more. Thanks again to those who responded.

San D Usky, since the original motor was replaced, and the ticking is still evident, I would tend to rule the motor itself out....hard to believe 2 motors would do EXACTLY the same thing.

Have you removed the motor and bench run it? Make up a power test-cord out of an old lamp cord, and connect it to the motor leads (and insulate bare wires w/ electrical tape). Plug it in and listen.

Dr_Drum said:
My Leyden did simlar after I messed around with the exhaust blower. There is a small bent piece of metal, sort of like a shelf, that is mounted directly under the exhaust motor. I'm not sure what it's purpose is. Anyway, one of the motors wires was slightly contacting this metal piece that was vibrating. It made a fast constant regular-timed ticking sound. Get a flashlight and get behind the stove, reach in from underneath and start grabbing at stuff. Obviously, don't stick your fingers in the room air blower. My guess is a wire tapping the back panel or something similar.

I don't own a Lopi, so I my be of no help.. But... I had the same problem as Dr Drum. My Quad had a noise one day after a good cleaning. It was my Convection blower vibrating against the bottom of the heat exchanger, were the exchanger plenum connects to the blower. Loosened the motor and straightened out.
Good Luck.. Hope you get it fixed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into it further. Much appreciate the feedback!

Have a great day everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.