lopi lyden jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisf

Hearth Supporter
Jun 25, 2009
upstate NY 12025
my lopi just jambed up before I came to work tonight. I looked in my manual and cant find how to release the jam. My kozi you could usally wiggle the auger motor and break it up. I tried that and it did not seem to work. so I guess what i have to do is take all the pellets out and vacum out the auger tube just wondering if there are any tricks.

bkfc255 said:
my lopi just jambed up before I came to work tonight. I looked in my manual and cant find how to release the jam. My kozi you could usally wiggle the auger motor and break it up. I tried that and it did not seem to work. so I guess what i have to do is take all the pellets out and vacum out the auger tube just wondering if there are any tricks.

Just curious...your leyden doesn't have the fuel "flapper" in the pellet chute, does it?

no it does not have the flapper

You can do 1 of 2 things, but both involve removing all the pellets. I'd remove the auger motor, and then take a pair of pliers or vise grips and see if you can turn the auger backwards and forwards and pull at the same time.

If that doesn't work, remove auger flight cover in pellet hopper.

Those are the only 2 ways to get to it, that I know of. Whatever you do, do NOT try turning the auger backwards with the motor still attached....you could strip a gear inside the case....I think one (or more) of them is plastic.

If you have to remove the flight cover, and get the jam resolved, make sure to re-seal w/ red hi-temp silicone as it was from the factory.

Well I will check it in probaly a couple hours it is 0630 and I am out of work in a half hour. got to get a few hours sleep working swing shift.

bkfc255 said:
Well I will check it in probaly a couple hours it is 0630 and I am out of work in a half hour. got to get a few hours sleep working swing shift.

OK, keep us informed of what you find.

I had auger jams on a regular basis last season with the Athen pellets. Sometimes, i could take a wood dowel & poke down the auger or poke up the auger . Sometimes i had to remove all the pellets & vacuum & poke. But take the motor/auger out ? Never , and i had a ton of jams. Muss . PS , i'm burning Maine pellets in my Lopi Leyden right now & their great in every way. That's the pellets from Strong by the way. Good luck !

muss said:
........But take the motor/auger out ? Never , and i had a ton of jams. Muss .....

Muss, my suggestion to take the auger & motor out were in case he couldn't clear it any other way. Obviously, don't do it if you don't have to. 8-/

Make sure you don't have pellets stuck under the lid. It prevents the little gold knob from going down and the auger from turning. This happened to me last year and I was freaking out. The auger turns much slower than I thought it would.

:zip:

I think that what happened to me. I tried to fill the hopper with what was left in the bag I had. I whish they made the hopper a little bigger.

You can manually get the auger to feed using the manual auger button (I do it just prior to opening the lid) or just hold down the gold button as you fil it. The dealer tech told me they took a screwdriver and punched the little gold button down so it's a non issue. I'm sure it has a safety purpose, but I think it's a little bit of over kill. Each and every stove has its little quirks but I think I've figured most of them on the lopi. I really touch the damper more than I thought I would too. I really like the stove and it sure puts our the heat. My kids always want me to run the stove, but I locked in my heating oil for 1.89 on a budget plan. I still burning pellets I had from last year. Luckily, I'm all done with the old Athens pellets and have one ton of Hammer hot ones left to burn. I'll probably buy more pellets as it gets colder but I'm going to watch prices and buy only if prices stay low. I'd also be willing to try the new Athens ones, but they'd have to give me a bag or two to see how they burn.

bkfc255 said:
I think that what happened to me. I tried to fill the hopper with what was left in the bag I had. I whish they made the hopper a little bigger.

Great!

That gold button is the first thing to check; anything stopping it from depressing stops the auger. Also, that thing can be screwed out. My 2 year old (last winter) unscrewed it and dropped it into the hopper then I filled up the hopper and no auger turning..... I'm glad I found it after scooping out pellets.

Besides that, unless you use real crappy pellets with loads of saw dust fines you should be fine. I have had zero issues since removing the chute flapper. Burning Lignetics, Barefoot and O'Malley this year.

macman said:
bkfc255 said:

Just curious...your leyden doesn't have the fuel "flapper" in the pellet chute, does it?

I just installed a leyden and it will run for about an hour or so, then it jams. I take the flapper out to clear the jam and then it is up and running again. Is this the pellets I am using or is it the fact that there is a flapper in the pellet chute?

Keep the flapper out. Is the stove new.? I would take the flap out and leave it out. I've never had a jam in mine, but the bold button got me good once. What type of pellets are you using? The dealer should have take the flap out for you. I made sure mine was out.

BEEFS Leyden said:
....I take the flapper out to clear the jam and then it is up and running again. Is this the pellets I am using or is it the fact that there is a flapper in the pellet chute?
Leave the flapper out. Last year about this time, Travis told all it's dealers to remove any flappers on stoves they had in stock, or to remove any that they saw on service calls. It's not needed, and will most likely end any jam problems you had.

I had an Astoria, and it didn't have the flapper. I never had a jam in the 5 tons I ran through it last winter.

I've never had a clinker either. You'll really like the leyden after you play with it a little bit. The damper adjustment is another thing I underestimated. With the lousy Athens pellets I had to just about close the damper. With the Hammer's I have it fully open and I'm getting much better heat and the ash on the galss is whitish.

tumbles said:
Keep the flapper out. Is the stove new.? I would take the flap out and leave it out. I've never had a jam in mine, but the bold button got me good once. What type of pellets are you using? The dealer should have take the flap out for you. I made sure mine was out.

The stove is brand new. I just installed it this weekend and have only burned it once before in my garage to cure the paint. I will try to take the flapper out tomorrow and run it again, thanks for the quick replies everyone.

BEEF

BEEFS Leyden said:
tumbles said:

The stove is brand new. I just installed it this weekend and have only burned it once before in my garage to cure the paint. I will try to take the flapper out tomorrow and run it again, thanks for the quick replies everyone.

BEEF

Tumbles was correct....the dealer should have removed this from the stove before you got it. It's been a year since Travis told the dealers to do this. Sounds like the dealer might want to make some $$ doing service calls....hmmmmm.

BEEFS Leyden said:
tumbles said:

BEEF

Well its been a long day of trouble shooting the stove...turns out that I ended up jumping the vacuum pump on the back of the stove to make sure that I wasn't losing vacuum once the stove heated up. I did talk to a LOPI rep from washington today and he tells me that the flap may have jammed the auger enough to burn up the gears in the auger motor.... He also told me this is a warranty thing thanks to the guys that I bought the stove from not telling me to remove the flap...the only problem is that I have to wait 7 to 10 days to have one of those clowns come to my house and replace the auger motor.. good thing I bought the best stove they sold...lol

BEEFS Leyden said:
.... He also told me this is a warranty thing thanks to the guys that I bought the stove from not telling me to remove the flap...

First of all, when you get this resolved, I think you'll find that the lopi leyden is a good stove.

On a new stove, it is NOT up to the customer to do work that Travis told the DEALERS to do over a year ago! The dealer is just lazy, and didn't want to be bothered.....they were told by Travis to remove any flappers BEFORE delivering the stoves.

As for the dealer "not telling me to remove the flap", I might start a search for another dealer after they finally fix yours.

I agree with macman. Very poor customer service to say the least. I made sure the dealer new about the Travis inudustries recommendation to remove the flap. I wouldn't have accepted the stove with the flap in it. I feel bad you had to deal with this issue. I really like my lope leyden and I foound they stand behind their product. I went through an igniter in one season and it was replace without issue. I used the thermostat and I wanted to see how long it would last. I got my answer. What I really liked was I got my Lopi with an honest time frame (Harman mess last year where they didn't deliver all the stoves they were supposed to) and I got my stove installed on time. It really is a nice stove and don't forget the damper, the gold button, and the quality of the pellets. I had a disaster with a coupld of pellets getting stuck under the lid and the auger not being able to turn. Always look undet the lid and made sure you don't have any stray pellets stuck on the edges. I have no regrets at all getting a Lopi leyden and I'm amazed at the heat out put and ease of running the stove. I really really really wish Travis would get rid of that little gold button. You might need to prime the auger sometimes too. It's kind of slow but listen for pellets falling. Good luck !!!

Ok finally the service man showed up...the problem was the auger set screw was not in the correct place and was slipping around the motor shaft. They did put a new motor in as the shaft on the old one was scored all around the diameter. Finally I am impressed with the heat output from this stove...wow. Now hopefully everything else continues to go well. This couldn't have been fixed any sooner as the temp this morning was 12 degrees...

Beefs, I had the same issue with my Leyden. I thought mine was just a fluke. Someone at Travis should check out that employee for not paying attention or not knowing what he/she is doing wrong. Anyone else with a Leyden should check their stoves to make sure screw is set properly.

BEEFS Leyden said:
Ok finally the service man showed up...the problem was the auger set screw was not in the correct place and was slipping around the motor shaft. They did put a new motor in as the shaft on the old one was scored all around the diameter. Finally I am impressed with the heat output from this stove...wow. Now hopefully everything else continues to go well. This couldn't have been fixed any sooner as the temp this morning was 12 degrees...

Did they or you also remove the flapper from the pellet chute?

As I mentioned above in post #19, the Leyden is a good stove....knew you'd like it once the problem(s) were addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.