Lopi Pioneer Auger Motor Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoaf88

Oct 19, 2009
RI
Hi everyone I hope someone can help answer my question. I have searched the forum and have not found my exact problem so I figured that I would post a question.

I just got a used Lopi Pioneer stove and it is in great shape. It is my second stove in my house, it is being used to heat a finished basement.

I basically rebuilt my other pellet stove which is an Avalon ps-900. I am familiar with all the components of these stoves.

So here is my problem. This has happened 3 times now within 1 week. I start my Lopi Pioneer and there are no error codes at all. The auger motor does not turn at all. At first I thought this was an auger jam so I cleaned out the hopper. Now it has done this 2 more times this week. I doubt it is a jam because I use somerset pellets on both my stoves and my other stove has never jammed ever.

The auger light comes on on the control panel but the auger does not turn. There is also no noise at all. It is like it is not getting power. I checked the 2 conections to the motor and they are connected. I also made sure that the flow tube is clear. So I took the motor and shook it a little bit and then it starts to work perfectly.

I will not get the problem again until i try to turn it back on. Once its on and running it runs fine.

I know some people had problems with the bearing plates and stuff but my auger seems to run real smooth with no noise at all.

So I am thinking that it is either a control board problem or the motor itself.

I doubt its the control board because there are no error codes and every other dial and light works perfectly on the control board.

So I am thinking it may be a connection inside the motor. It is at least 5 years old. So do you experts think I should just buy a new auger motor?

To test the motor you only need to directly power it with 120v. Let it run for 10 minutes. It should spin clockwise at about 1rpm. Using a pair of channel locks or pliers, grab the shaft and create some resistance. This will check the gearbox for a slipped gear. You need to apply resistance for 1 revolution for all of the gears. Visually inspect the set screws that hold the stator cap down and make sure they are snug. Drop the auger plate and make sure the brass bushing it tight in the plate. If it is loose (spins) that may be your issue. A easy fix for this is to super glue the brass bushing to the steel or buy a new plate and bushing. Remove the auger from the feed tube and make sure there is no obstruction at the top with dust. Clean up the tip of the steel auger and clean out the upper bushing with wd40 and a brass pipe brush.

To test the control board you need to have a multimeter, remove the leads to the auger.

Thanks so much for the reply.

The thing is that I know I don't need to test the motor because it works. Once it starts spinning it works the whole time the stove is on. The problem only occours during startup. And I get it to start running by shaking the motor a little but and then it works totally fine.

Does this mean that the motor is going and soon it won't work at all?

stoaf88 said:
Thanks so much for the reply.

The thing is that I know I don't need to test the motor because it works. Once it starts spinning it works the whole time the stove is on. The problem only occours during startup. And I get it to start running by shaking the motor a little but and then it works totally fine.

Does this mean that the motor is going and soon it won't work at all?
clean the auger bushings

Remove cap to top of motor windings, pull rotor out and put a couple drops of 20w non-detergent oil (3 in 1 blue can) on the little gear, and also into the bearing in the top cap. Also, put a couple of drops into where the output shaft come through the gearbox.

Other option is to CAREFULLY open up the gear box, clean out as much old (possibly dried out) grease as you can, and re-pack w/ fresh grease.

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 362
Thanks a lot for all the replies guys.

I think I may know what the problem is. The problem happens every time on turn on the stove now.

The auger motor dosent work so I shake it like twice and then it works just fine every time. I took the back panel of stove off and have left it off for acess.

No error codes or anything. I am pretty sure that I need a new auger motor because this seems like some sort of loose connection within the motor itself or its just real old or something.

I am not sure how old the stove is because I just bought it this year used. The stove is in great shape but the auger motor looks like it has seen better days.

So I will be buying one of those heavy duty 1 RPM motors and I am pretty sure this will fix the problem.

Also once I get the motor out I would like to inspect the auger bushings.

Any advice on how to remove the auger?

Status
Not open for further replies.