Lopi Pioneer Bay Auger will not budge when feed knob set below the M in Medium!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I am working on a 15 y/o Lopi Pioneer (Heritage Bay FS) tonight and just got it going good. New paint and new exhaust blower, new door and ash pan gasket. I cleaned and lubed the auger bushing (Using Dry Moly Lube) and the motor is nice and quiet but when I turn the knob to the Low range, I see the auger lite come on but the auger does not move. Do you think the Old Auger Motor is just to old and tired to move at very low intervals?

Looks like the older Lopi Yankee has the same issue!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/auger-runs-intermittently.24730/

When I empty the hopper bin of pellets and remove the auger motor, I can turn the auger freely with no snags.

I had a similar issue on my 25-PDV sometimes the auger motor got the juice to turn but did not turn. It would skip a beat so to speak! Only skipped under a load, On the bench it ran fine! I put 2 new motors in and the stove ran like a champ!

See pics below

Attachments

• LopiPioneerControlPanel.jpg
    LopiPioneerControlPanel.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 310
  • AugerMotor.jpg
    AugerMotor.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 263
  • AugerBushingPlate.jpg
    AugerBushingPlate.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 253
Check your voltage to the motor, may not be getting enough juice on a lower setting. Motor will not start to turn under 100v or there about. If the motor is getting full line voltage (and it should) then the control board is suspect. You may want to check the bushing too. Is there any lift of the motor during a full rotation? If so, the bushing is wearing. Looks like you are missing the plate bolts...or maybe you took them off? You need those.

Check your voltage to the motor, may not be getting enough juice on a lower setting. Motor will not start to turn under 100v or there about. If the motor is getting full line voltage (and it should) then the control board is suspect. You may want to check the bushing too. Is there any lift of the motor during a full rotation? If so, the bushing is wearing. Looks like you are missing the plate bolts...or maybe you took them off? You need those.

Yes, I took the screws off and put them back on. How is the best way to remove that bushing plate? It is stuck like glue!

Hello

Well I swapped out the auger with another one and SAME problem.

So What do you get when you cut good wires off a Travis Fasco Combustion blower with male clips and an Enviro Jake Ind combustion blower with female clips and tie the ends together and crimp on male clips? ? ?

An AUGER/CONTROL board voltage testing cord! ! ! See pics below:

Voltage displayed on the VOM direct from AC outlet is 118.7 VAC
During the start cycle, when the auger is powered on we see 117.8 VAC on the VOM.

The start cycle sets the feed rate to high.

Last pic shows VOM test clips plugged into male clips from auger motor. Auger red lite is on and VOM reading 117.8 VAC

Next step is to set to low and see if there is any juice!

Attachments

• AugerVoltageTestingCord.jpg
    AugerVoltageTestingCord.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 175
  • WallOutletVoltage.jpg
    WallOutletVoltage.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 184
  • AugerVoltStartMode.jpg
    AugerVoltStartMode.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 188
Hello

So here is the ANSWER.

During the run cycle with feed rate on medium
Auger Volt = 118.5 VAC

During the run cycle with feed rate on low
Auger Volt = 0.0 VAC

This means either the potentiometer under the knob is bad or something else on the control board is bad!

See pics below!

Status
Not open for further replies.