LOPI Revere or Regency I2400 Raised Cape Style Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbomb

Mar 31, 2011
Southeastern MA
I own a raised cape and want to install a wood burning insert. I believe I have narrowed it down to two stoves, Revere or Regency. I am aware of the sq-ft that both of these should cover, which 1000-2000.

If anyone is unclear or to help you visualize my question, a raised cape home or at least mine has sort of an open floor plan with a cathedral ceiling leading to a loft on the second level, positioned above the first floor kitchen and dining area. The house is basically a raised ranch on the first floor with a second level. Adjacent to the loft on the second level, through a doorway is the master bedroom. I hope to pump heat into the master bedroom with a fan if necessary or naturally, and into the bedrooms at the end of the hallway on the first floor. The entire house is about 1800 sq-ft. Will either of these do the trick?

The current calculation of open space to heat is 864 sq-ft (living room w/ fireplace, dining room, kitchen, loft that overlooks fireplace). We have new replacement windows and new slider and front door, however the house is always cold. Must be poor insulation in the walls and ceiling, I don't know. Can anyone tell me if either of these two stoves will suite my needs or if someone has the same type of house and what you use? Or should I go with a larger stove like the Freedom? I know there is little difference between the Freedom and Revere besides ability to hold logs-purported burn time and I read posts where people use the freedom to heat spaces my size. Wish I knew which one to go with with size in mind. As for the brand, they both seem good, although the regency has a lifetime warranty and the revere only 7 years.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Jason

If a customer came into my shop and briefly laid out that scenario, I would say with the proper air movement the 2400 would be fine. Regency makes a great stove and makes tons of happy customers. (I dont sell Lopi so cant say from first hand experience. If someone told me they wanted 10 hour burn times, I would upgrade them to the 3100 and tell them to close the upstairs bedroom door at night if it got too hot.

I have 500 more square feet and the same insert in terms of firebox and everything else - the revere gives you a much over-built door design a bit nicer looks, but otherwise is supposed to be the same.

I live much further south than you, and often use it to heat from 20-40 degrees outside. I have a poor layout, where your layout sounds much better/more conducive.

I can tell you that I wish I had gone with the Freedom - my house barely heats above where it was when I start the stove. I'm overworking this stove. At the same time, I don't know if a substantially bigger insert would be cooking me out, so maybe I made the right choice - hard to say.

That said: at the end of the day, I push my stove to the max and it struggles to hold my 2200-2300 square foot home at 65 degrees. It'd be very nice to be able to simply run a smaller fire/push the stove less and have ample heat. If you can, consider getting a free-standing stove that will fit within your fireplace enclosure and still has a blower on it - free-standing saves you a decent amount of money, gives alot more radiant heat, etc.

I'd recommend going up one size to a ~3-cf firebox stove (remember, you can alway build a smaller fire inside a big stove, but can't build a bigger fire in a smaller stove) like the Lopi Freedom, Freedom Bay, or Avalon Olympic (made by same company as Lopi). I don't have much experience with Regency, so I can't really comment on them.

The regency wood line is awesome. As Franks said, many happy customers.

95% of our wood product sold is regency, and have virtually no call backs.

Go with the 2400 over the 3100. Will heat just as well. I have put in a handful of 3100's and hundreds upon hundreds of I2400 and F2400's.

Everyone is sceptical of it's size, and always come back saying it works 100 times better then you said it would!

Lifetime warranty is great! Built like little tanks, so not likely to need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.